Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help with VY Executive Instrument Cluster.

Neratic

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden VY Commodore Executive
So, long story short...

I attempted the dash light mod on the cluster, changing out the green LEDs for blue ones. I managed to pull this off successfully, with the exception of the cluster resetting all its programming.

Everything was working fine last night, but I've gone to drive off this morning and I've noticed my dials have stopped working. No fuel, temp, speed or RPM. The LCD display was still working and so were the lights.

This image was taken this morning.
http://imgur.com/a/24dYK

Since then more and more things have stopped working... The LEDs no longer turn on when the headlights are on and the LCD doesn't show anything, but the warning lights for Airbags, battery etc. still work and so do the indicators. The only time the LEDs work is when I plug the cluster back into the car and they flicker for a microsecond.

I've checked all the fuses I can think of that even remotely relate to dash lighting and the cluster itself and they're all fine. I've checked the contacts on the PCB itself and I haven't found any bridged connections, loose connections and I can't smell any burnt components.

I'm completely stumped and have no idea where to go from here. I'm hoping I may have forgotten something or missed something, but I'm not sure.

Okay, so it's not quite a short story, but hopefully you get the idea. I'll take any advice, please help!

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
I believe it is possible to ruin your cluster when doing LED conversions on VYs, Ive seen it mentioned a few times. Get another cluster and see if it works, if so looks like your old one is toast :/

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So, long story short...

I attempted the dash light mod on the cluster, changing out the green LEDs for blue ones. I managed to pull this off successfully, with the exception of the cluster resetting all its programming.

Everything was working fine last night, but I've gone to drive off this morning and I've noticed my dials have stopped working. No fuel, temp, speed or RPM. The LCD display was still working and so were the lights.

This image was taken this morning.
http://imgur.com/a/24dYK

Since then more and more things have stopped working... The LEDs no longer turn on when the headlights are on and the LCD doesn't show anything, but the warning lights for Airbags, battery etc. still work and so do the indicators. The only time the LEDs work is when I plug the cluster back into the car and they flicker for a microsecond.

I've checked all the fuses I can think of that even remotely relate to dash lighting and the cluster itself and they're all fine. I've checked the contacts on the PCB itself and I haven't found any bridged connections, loose connections and I can't smell any burnt components.

I'm completely stumped and have no idea where to go from here. I'm hoping I may have forgotten something or missed something, but I'm not sure.

Okay, so it's not quite a short story, but hopefully you get the idea. I'll take any advice, please help!
Most definitely damaged the board or surrounding components.

The fact that its slowly getting worse means there has been damage, which probably occured during the screen removal or resoldering

Have seen countless attempts of LED conversion on the clusters. Most of the time it ends up with a completely blank screen. Or when parts have been cooked, ends up with the same symptoms your getting.

Neratic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most definitely damaged the board or surrounding components.

The fact that its slowly getting worse means there has been damage, which probably occured during the screen removal or resoldering

Have seen countless attempts of LED conversion on the clusters. Most of the time it ends up with a completely blank screen. Or when parts have been cooked, ends up with the same symptoms your getting.
Yeah, figures... I ended up getting a new cluster, but it needs reprogramming (SRS, Automatic Display etc.).
I'm going to get the Body Diagnostics software with the cable. Can you tell me if I can use that software to reset the odometer? New cluster says 89k, definitely not correct XD.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Yeah, figures... I ended up getting a new cluster, but it needs reprogramming (SRS, Automatic Display etc.).
I'm going to get the Body Diagnostics software with the cable. Can you tell me if I can use that software to reset the odometer? New cluster says 89k, definitely not correct XD.
As you can imagine, if odometer reprogramming was available in Body Diagnostics, it would be used illegally to wind back odos Australia wide.

So that ability has not been added for both legal and moral reasons.

Neratic

Reaction score
Members Ride
As you can imagine, if odometer reprogramming was available in Body Diagnostics, it would be used illegally to wind back odos Australia wide.

So that ability has not been added for both legal and moral reasons.
Yeah I figured as much. Thanks for the reply :)