Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil light and rattling sound

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Haven't started it in like 2 months, took it around the block and it sounds like a tractor, and the check oil light is on, I checked the oil and it seems good, just wondering if i should worry to much about it, sounds worse than the video shows, Everyone so far is telling me it's the timing chains? it is a 2007 omega

Last edited by a moderator:

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
I am no mechanic, but that does not sound healthy, at all.... worse thing you could have done it taken it for a drive I think

Timing chain... possibly, but does not seem to be missing... I'm lean towards something in the valve train like a broken/dud lifter/valve/rocker/Cam lobe, even though you said you have oil in the sump... the oil pump could be dead.... so the engine is actually running dry.

Good luck with it...

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks for the reply man, it wasn't making any weird sounds till i turned around to come back, and i started it like an hour after and the sound wasn;t there :-/ so #### knows, got me confused

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If the oil light is on and your oil level is good, and the engine sounds terrible, just putting 2 and 2 together, I would be suspecting the oil pump. Those who suggested the timing chain may also be right. I am sure I have read in one thread about timing chains, that the lack of oil pressure due affects the timing chain tensioner, and timing chain rattles can actually be attributed to the oil pump. Good luck with it. I wouldn't drive it if it doesn't sound right, you could be inflicting serious damage if the oil pressure isn't there.

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
It was serviced when i got it 7000ks ago, 160k on clock

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
If the timing chain has never been replaced and with more than 150K, that's most likely it. Try to flush + change the oil first but it doesn't look good...

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Is there any sludge in the engine blocking oil galleys up?
Pull near side cover off top of engine, undo large bolt on top to get oil filter out to check for sludge. I saw some pics a while back of an Alloytec engine filter totally covered in sludge blocking things up.
You might be lucky with a new filter and correct 5-30 oil as per the books.

Personally I would not start it up until the new oil and filter go into it. If it's still rattling?????????????????

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks for the advice guys, is there anything on here showing you how to change + flush oil etc as i am not mechanically minded.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Thanks for the advice guys, is there anything on here showing you how to change + flush oil etc as i am not mechanically minded.

Follow my post.........Check filter first. Very easy to get to that.

Oil drained by undoing sump plug into a tub.