Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston ring gaps

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It also depends on what the engine is been used for, blown or nitrous engines would run slightly larger rings gaps.

And just to be a little different, I see a lot of the engine builders are running the 2nd ring with a slightly larger gap than the first.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Immortality, I think my rings specified the other way around.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Forged pistons require more piston to cylinder clearance too. The extra materials taken off the cylinders when boring would give you the larger ring gap.

So many different combinations that all require different tolerances etc etc. seems like the wise thing to do is follow the instructions :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Immortality, I think my rings specified the other way around.

Yep, it's the traditional way.

Forged pistons require more piston to cylinder clearance too. The extra materials taken off the cylinders when boring would give you the larger ring gap.

So many different combinations that all require different tolerances etc etc. seems like the wise thing to do is follow the instructions :p

But who's instructions? Piston manufacturers sometimes give their own instructions to suit ring gaps, i.e

http://www.cp-carrillo.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Q7LAfTKUjgE=&tabid=74

At the end of the day, follow the ring manufacturers instructions and you should be fine.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if they arnt file fit they are probably bigger than required anyway

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0

That's when you buy file back rings, so you can set the ring gap exactly.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
https://www.uempistons.com/installation_instructions/kb_installation.pdf

Those are the pistons I used in my Chev, KB say to set the top ring gap larger than the bottom ring (by a fair amount) to allow for the top ring being so close to the top of the piston. Now, if I'd followed the ring manufacturers instructions, I'd have set them both at the usual .004 per inch rule the ring would likely but and pull the top off the piston.

So, in that case I went with the piston instructions. You just need to follow the instructions that make the most sense.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That's when you buy file back rings, so you can set the ring gap exactly.

Yeah forgot about that. Highest performance engines I've played with have been 2 strokes where you don't need to worry about anything like that lol.

On another note...I've heard about people using gapless rings.... How do they work?? Always made me wonder how you get them on the piston etc