Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power limit of mods with VF1 SSV stock exhaust

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
Monstars' Black Pearl?
Yes, early on the challenge was L77 breathing mods whilst taming drone. Some interesting research to hit 300+ before lifting the heads.

Reactions: Lex

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes, early on the challenge was L77 breathing mods whilst taming drone.
The issue with drone is that no one in the aftermarket seems to use big enough rear muffler cannisters to control it. A 9" round 14" long fibreglass packed straight through in 2.5" for example doesn't drone. It's best use the biggest rear mufflers that'll fit under the car and control noise level with midpipe resonators, not smaller mufflers at the rear to make the car louder. As many have likely discovered, the worst drone in most cars are rear muffler deletes.

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
The issue with drone is that no one in the aftermarket seems to use big enough rear muffler cannisters to control it. A 9" round 14" long fibreglass packed straight through in 2.5" for example doesn't drone. It's best use the biggest rear mufflers that'll fit under the car and control noise level with midpipe resonators, not smaller mufflers at the rear to make the car louder. As many have likely discovered, the worst drone in most cars are rear muffler deletes.
Totally agree the worse thing for drone is rear muffler delete. Next is to use a replacement muffler that doesn’t cater for (tuned length) for the first order harmonic of the engine.
With the V8 that wave length is just after the rear bumper on standard wheelbase chassis. As in if it were straight through or rear mufflers don’t incorporate the extra length the greatest amplitude would be right behind the car.
Of course GM know this hence best mufflers for performance and sound mitigation are stock bi-modals. You literally can have the loudest possible system up to rear cans and pass the stationary noise test.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
My car with the 3" hurricane cat back was actually pretty quiet from the outside and rear. But the drone was like doing 100 k's on the highway with one window down, I couldn't hear the radio and it was tiring to drive it. I am getting a tune soon. I just have VCM otr and rear sports mufflers with stock mid pipe. I have heard that the stock headers aren't that bad for flow. I will see how I go. Have been thinking about shorty headers but that's on a different thread topic.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
thats where i like the DPE system as i dont like any raspy sound and theres keeps it deep and still with bark but it dosnt echo esp on the decel, but still small rear mufflers and im sure u could double the size and still not affect anything just quieter, i made over 700rhp with the stock rear mufflers on so they are no real limitation

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
thats where i like the DPE system as i dont like any raspy sound and theres keeps it deep and still with bark but it dosnt echo esp on the decel, but still small rear mufflers and im sure u could double the size and still not affect anything just quieter, i made over 700rhp with the stock rear mufflers on so they are no real limitation
How about the stock headers and cats?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
not sure, i had the HSV headers and such got rid of them quick and upgraded to full exhaust well before i added boost, for n/a u may get further but on boost it would be a restriction and prob kill the cats quick, not sure what different setup the LSA has for its cats ect but its quite limited stock power wise

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
not sure, i had the HSV headers and such got rid of them quick and upgraded to full exhaust well before i added boost, for n/a u may get further but on boost it would be a restriction and prob kill the cats quick, not sure what different setup the LSA has for its cats ect but its quite limited stock power wise
I'd be going for a cam at the most later on but for now otr and freer flowing exhaust with tune. I am never going for boost. I have seen shorty headers on Ebay both 1"7/8 and 1"3/4 don't know which as long as they bolt up to stock cats

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
personally id go for 1-7/8 on the headers to get the exhaust out then u can deal with it how ever after then