Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power limit of mods with VF1 SSV stock exhaust

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i also noticed the DPE rear muffler twin outlets are smaller then my stock twin outlets, i fitted the stock HSV tips so it still looks factory from the outside and they were too big for the DPE pipe

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
I started doing custom exhausts on the weekend in 1978 as an apprentice mechanic with a hacksaw, vice, car ramps and oxy set using my mum's coat hangers for welding wire. In 44 years, I've never had bolt on exhaust in any of mine or my wife's cars with every exhaust I've chosen to modify I've custom made often using parts of the stock system and muffler cannisters. Getting the right note and drone minimisation was essential in road cars and then eventuated into race car exhausts from the early 90's maximising torque and power potential.

Bolt on's are primarily a compromise based on costs to compete in a market unless you get into Euro stuff like BMW M series bolt on's they're paying 10k+ for name brands like Akrapovic and the like that are loud, raspy, sound lousy often drone like crazy. As I mentioned previously, drone control is best achieved using the biggest rear mufflers that'll fit under the car, exactly what the aftermarket don't do then try and "band aid" it with midpipe resonators like DPE's metre long hot dogs. All you need in a VE/VF midpipe are 12" long 4" diameter resonators with big rear mufflers to control drone. Here's mine, a modified HSV Maloo midpipe with a proper 15 degree X-pipe and resonator change from 2.25" hot dogs to 2.5" of similar cannister size.

View attachment 238953
I've got 12" x 4" resonators x 4 on this Hurricane 3" mid pipe. It bolts straight up to the stock cats and stock rear mufflers. The drone from this Hurricane 3" mid pipe is unbearable with the Zetti oval rear mufflers, hence it's removal and the use of a stock mid pipe instead.
But as I said I am curious as to how this pipe will be with the stock Rear SS Mufflers.
Capture Hurricane.PNG

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
before i got the DPE i had a cheap redback that was so bad drone i was going burn the car down, fitted the stock rear mufflers and fixed it all up, at cruise was quiet and idle then still a note once under decent boot

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
before i got the DPE i had a cheap redback that was so bad drone i was going burn the car down, fitted the stock rear mufflers and fixed it all up, at cruise was quiet and idle then still a note once under decent boot
I like that, it means that maybe my stock rear mufflers will shut this Hurricane droning brute up while giving me better flow than the stock mid pipe when I get it tuned.

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
I like that, it means that maybe my stock rear mufflers will shut this Hurricane droning brute up while giving me better flow than the stock mid pipe when I get it tuned.
Is worth noting that by the time the exhaust gas gets out the tailpipe the temperature (hence volume and velocity) is a fraction of that up the pointy end, most particles have slowed to near standstill.
To maintain velocity you need to reduce the cross section of pipe the further length gets away from the exhaust port.
So yeah, two birds one stone, no drone and more efficient running.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've got 12" x 4" resonators x 4 on this Hurricane 3" mid pipe. It bolts straight up to the stock cats and stock rear mufflers. The drone from this Hurricane 3" mid pipe is unbearable with the Zetti oval rear mufflers, hence it's removal and the use of a stock mid pipe instead.
But as I said I am curious as to how this pipe will be with the stock Rear SS Mufflers.View attachment 238971
I believe the stock rear boxes will get the job done no worries and will be fine when your tuning it

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Bearing in mind I still only have stock manifolds and cats
For a street car it will be fine, and for the street the standard headers will be nice and torquey down low

The main thing is that you like how the car sounds, and it doesn't break your brain droning away

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
For a street car it will be fine, and for the street the standard headers will be nice and torquey down low

The main thing is that you like how the car sounds, and it doesn't break your brain droning away
If I can tune to about 250 - 260 rwkw's I'd be happy for now, it's just the L77 6.0

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If I can tune to about 250 - 260 rwkw's I'd be happy for now, it's just the L77 6.0
It will make what it makes, don't focus on the power, but, the difference a good tuner and dyno can do is worth the effort