Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with the manual gearboxes in the VE Commodores

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
does anyone get a shuddering like affect (like plumbing pipes under the house when you snap the water off, bad comparison but its the best i got) when changing from 1st to second? happens rarely but i'm a bit concerned

Johnjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
See if you can try and make it happen, the noise I get when turning water off too quickly is just a thump lol, so could be a different sound. Get a sound clip or something. Are you changing gears too early and stepping on the gas?

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
See if you can try and make it happen, the noise I get when turning water off too quickly is just a thump lol, so could be a different sound. Get a sound clip or something. Are you changing gears too early and stepping on the gas?

i get the effect mostly when going downhill in first gear and when i clutch in it shudders, kinda like a pipe rattling a bit

Last edited:

Johnjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Oh yeah I know what you are talking about now. Not sure what causes it, it's to do with revs of engine. Nothing wrong with it, it happened to me once when I was in a parking low and revs were really low and I put clutch in to park.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
Would it be better to open up the gearbox and put it right on in there? Or will it flow through everything anyway, is that nulon stuff a paste or liquid ? I'll try it today

Did you end up trying the additive?

i get the effect mostly when going downhill in first gear and when i clutch in it shudders, kinda like a pipe rattling a bit

Shuddering is either clutch plate worn, front gearbox bearing vibration??. Possibly back bush in the tail shaft yolk. How many k's has it done and how much do you hammer it. IE: first gear down hill!!! Your syncro's will love you.
Again as I've mensioned earlier to Johnjoe. Add the PTFE treatment.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
Biggest issue with just about anything is lack of adequate lubrication from factory install.
I always come across dried out bearings which are supposedly sealed and pre greased. (this is in reference to a starter motor I picked up very cheap and only had a dry sealed bearing) which I used a drop of that PTFE NULON G70 in it. It's a near brand new Delco reduction gear starter. Now the starter sounds and works better and quieter than brand new. (which was with bench testing then on the car)

Johnjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
No I didn't get a chance unfortunately, going to go today in lunch break and grab a tube of it. Do it tonight

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Shuddering is either clutch plate worn, front gearbox bearing vibration??. Possibly back bush in the tail shaft yolk. How many k's has it done and how much do you hammer it. IE: first gear down hill!!! Your syncro's will love you.
Again as I've mensioned earlier to Johnjoe. Add the PTFE treatment.[/QUOTE]

It's done 30,000 kms i've owned it for about 500ks so still trying to get used to the car my last two cars were slouches. My impression would suggest it's the tailshaft making that noise. I don't have much to compare my car to so i don't know how the transmission/gearbox should 'feel' like so should i get the transmission thoroughly looked at by a local holden delearship or just wait until my next service (15,000kms away) the car is still under new car warranty.