Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick rattle after oil change

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Hope so. Technically two changes every second change for the warranty period, to drain various oils holden have tried on me. One time not dexos or the correct weight, not that the Edge 5w40 from new was either. 10 tenths for the last 20000km or so. So yeah lots of changes, hence my ears pricking up, possibly blood pressure also, when I heard the knocking for the first time.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Dexos rating or not has nothing to do with a possible knocking noise. Dexos is all about oil life and not sludging up during the extended service intervals. Given you are wisely changing the oil more often than 15,000 Ks don't worry about dexos.
Knocking comes down to oil pressure which is the issue after doing an oil change and replacing filter because the filter is dry and empty. Takes a while to pump the new oil through it and starves the engine of oil for a second.

How do you like the 10 tenths? I've been saying I'll try it but keep buying Synpower cos it's always been good to me.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I never minded non dexos, I just despised that Holden break their own rules. Kick up a big stink that day and stood there and watched them drain oil and then crack two bottles of Mobil 1 to please me. Drove it for a day and then replaced it anyway!
I think 10 tenths is probably from a technical standpoint about the best available. I believe it reduces engine chatters by a fraction also. I wish I'd used it from new after break in. I am in the process of shopping for 200 cell cats up from 100 cell and may reconsider 10 tenths in the future.