Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quick rattle after oil change

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
From the start (which isn't unusual first kick) then became a real chatter at op temp. It rattled most cold starts though.

Basically was a different beast after the change then back to normal with the AC Delco replacement. Not the first time Ryco has proven to be a pos.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm gonna go genuine filter at my next oil change. I've been using Cooper and get a slight rattle on start up. Reckon genuine filter will change things.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Losh is that rattle worse in winter? Given how cold it gets down there it might just be a cold oil issue. See how the different filter goes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Losh is that rattle worse in winter? Given how cold it gets down there it might just be a cold oil issue. See how the different filter goes.

Hard to say if it is worse in winter as I only just started taking notice of it. It did quieten down by half, once I replaced the valley cover gaskets and cleaned everything up. No idea why that would be?? But there was some oil getting into the water jackets and there was chunky bits that I dug out of the ports in the manifold right up near the rear.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
I had a Ryco filter completely fail on my old VK 3.3L Commodore about 25 years ago. The element inside the filter came apart and sent particles through the engine and destroyed the engine completely. Ended up transplanting a 5.0L in it so it wasn't all bad. Never used a Ryco since.

Phawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SSV Redline
137 odd K's, oil changes every 7.5K, that engine should be like new inside.