Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline rear tyre choices

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
I have had a set of Kumho fitted to my previous VF1 SSV ute before I traded it in, they were O.K. considering they were half of the price to the factory Bridgestone. All I can say is thank God for those Chinese/Korean/Malaysian tyres to keep the big brands' price honest. They would probably charge more without competitions.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
That national tyre company needs their heads read.....When they first came out, very few cars had tyre pressure monitors fitted....So they obviously want to turn customers away, which is stupidity on their behalf....

Repairing a runflat tyre is a big no no....Repairing a tyre the fitter must be confident that it will be safe enough to drive on and not fail prematurely.....A run flat tyre carcass is designed to endure more stress than a conventinal tyre, when running low on pressure....Due to this, we are unsure how much stress the carcass has endured prior to coming in, therefore completing a successful repair so it doesn't fail prematurely, is impossible

Run flat tyres were invented for European countries, where distances between towns were considerably less than here, as well as weigh saving considerations....However, in Australia, we don't have these short distances between towns, yet we import cars that were designed for European countries, with no consideration taken for this country....And manufacturers of cars in this country are taking the same lead as European countries in this area, which is plain stupidity

The wife got a tap washer in her run flat tyre last week. Even though it didn't go flat, i was staggered when the tyre shop said you cant repairr a run flat. because the front 2 tyres were a bit worn, we replaced the whole lot for an arse reaming price of $1700. I wanted to fit conventional tyres but the tyre shop strongly recommend against it.
The ride quality on run flats is woeful, and apart from maybe not needing a spare tyre I cant see the benefits

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
It is advised when having run flat tyres fitted, it needs tyre pressure monitors for safety reasons as run flat tyres don't show under inflated tyres as obvious as the normal tyres. My 2016 made SSVR ute doesn't have Tyre Pressure Monitors and it runs the normal tyres on factory 20" wheels. I am surprised the tyre shop "strongly recommended" the run flat tyres as they aren't "originally factory fitted" by Holden. I read an article somewhere that retro fitted run flat tyres can affect car's suspension set out and handling characteristics as they weren't tested by factory engineers.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Sorry, i should've clarified. This was on the wife's Beemer, not the SS. i was just having a rant as to how sh1t they are :)

That car does have the tyre pressure monitors. Though even looking at it when its flat, you can notice it

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It is advised when having run flat tyres fitted, it needs tyre pressure monitors for safety reasons as run flat tyres don't show under inflated tyres as obvious as the normal tyres..

2 letters B/S.

Any low profile tyre,ie a 235/45 X17 or 235/40X18 , which are a fairly common size, is difficult to pick up a drop in air pressure....Running a tyre at 15 PSI or less for 30 minutes or so, makes them susceptible to side wall failure. A run flat tyre is designed to with stand lower pressures for longer as they have more layers of rubber in the sidewall area, to combat the stresses of lower pressures in a tyre. Run flat tyres were developed for the European Markets were distances between towns are less than here and to free up the boot space...That's 2 of the main reasons.

So who ever told you this information doesn't know one end of themselves from the other...And a quick way to prove this information....Why do some upmarket commodores (VE HSV springs to mind) have tyre pressure monitors as standard, yet they run the conventional tyres, NOT run flats

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
I thought some manufacturers use run flat tyres just to save money and weight...the point of having Tyre Pressure Monitor on run flat because it is harder to tell when the tyre has a slow puncture which may cause accident on highway at high speed. A slow puncture is much easier to notice on normal tyre. Having TPM on normal tyres is convenient, my previous 300C has them and runs on normal "fat" and not so low profile normal tyres. As to free up boot space, don't think it makes any difference on my ute as the space for spare tyre is located under the vehicle. The "bean counter" at Holden decided to save a few dollars.

smurfmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf redline
I just replaced mine last week, i was happy with original bridgestone re050's so went with them again, i'm happy with the performance and surprisingly i got 40'000km out of them so while they are not cheap i thought they were pretty good. Good enough to go again.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Nitrogen is a scam unless you are doing so much track time that your driving is no longer the weak link and perfect car setup is the only thing left to yield better times. This is almost nobody by the way.
Nitrogen is fantastic for me, not a scam if I know exactly what it does and doesn’t do, witness first hand the extra time time and effort taken to ensure a precision setup. Not for everyone, but for the fully tax deductible price of a hamburger makes driving life simpler and gives me peace of mind.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I thought some manufacturers use run flat tyres just to save money and weight...the point of having Tyre Pressure Monitor on run flat because it is harder to tell when the tyre has a slow puncture which may cause accident on highway at high speed. A slow puncture is much easier to notice on normal tyre. Having TPM on normal tyres is convenient, my previous 300C has them and runs on normal "fat" and not so low profile normal tyres. As to free up boot space, don't think it makes any difference on my ute as the space for spare tyre is located under the vehicle. The "bean counter" at Holden decided to save a few dollars.

Yes, having no spare is also a money saving item through manufacturers, along with other reasons. And it's not just Holden that are the bean counters....It's started with European car manufacturers....eg Mercedes and BMW....

Having a puncture in any lower profile tyre, be it run flat or your normal construction tyre, is difficult to tell, before it leads to a tyre carcus failure. A tyre carcus failure can lead to an accident at any speed....Higher speeds just means a better chance of a dreadful outcome.....Run flat tyres are designed to run longer at lower pressures before tyre carcus failure occurs.

Yes TPM's are designed to detect a drop in air pressure, to help prevent tyre carcus failure, but they aren't just limited in their use for run flat tyres....Normal construction tyres also use them also. And it isn't compulsary to be used for any type of tyre

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Nitrogen is fantastic for me, not a scam if I know exactly what it does and doesn’t do, witness first hand the extra time time and effort taken to ensure a precision setup. Not for everyone, but for the fully tax deductible price of a hamburger makes driving life simpler and gives me peace of mind.

Nitrogen is used mainly for track purposes....And it's for the serious racer, not the weekend warrior....In normal road going vehicles, it is pointless.....Tyres loose air pressure regardless what is placed in them....be it air or nitrogen.......Problem is, if you put nitrogen in, to stick with the surposed benefits, you must re pressure them at a place that has nitrogen at hand, rather than your local servo or house compressor....Same applies when receiving a puncture....You have to go to a place that fills tyres up with nitrogen

And tax deduction...Yeah, if your vehicle is used for work purposed, tyres are tax deductable...Paying an extra $5.00 per tyre to have it placed in just means it's an extra $5.00 per tyre you can claim back from the tax man

And finally....When this nitrogen "secret" hit your telly, it was actually an article paid for by the Bob Jane T-mart franchise as a marketing ploy to help increase their business.....

When other stores realised how much Bob Jane were making from this "secret", some others jumped on the ban wagon.....And face it, when the general public hear, "race car drivers use it", the general public have to follow. So hats off for the Bob Jane management for clever marketting

Last edited: