Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repair costs

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
yeah i’ve got insurance, i only ask cause they wanna do a stat write off but everyone that’s seen the damage thinks it can all be fixed
A vehicle can only be classed as a statutory write off (SWO) if the damage impacts certain structural body parts according to well defined (national) rules. Such cars can’t be put back on the road (usually ever).

On the other hand a repairable write off (RWO) classification is based on the economics of repair and is often flagged when repair costs are around 70-80% of the vehicle’s value. RWO vehicles can actually be repaired and put back on the road but in those cases the insurance company will pay you out your crash claim and then sell you the wreck. Repairing a RWO vehicle is a well documented PITA where you follow VicRoads VIV strict repair rules. Such RWO vehicles have their repairs inspected and signed off by engineers and thus flagged as being Inspected write offs (IRO).

These write off flags SWO, RWO & IWO and reason codes that define the damage) are stored on the national NEVDiS data base form anyone to see.

The write off criteria can be seen below

But looking at the pictures, I can’t see how it would be classed as a statutory write off as nothing structural looks to be impacted. Looking at the engine bay with particular focus on the chassis rails and chassis to firewall area should show if anything is bent (but I’d be surprised if such is the case). Pictures may or may not help us see such stuff…

If you do want your car repaired, I’d read the above doc and then speak to the assessor… maybe someone wants to by a cheap easy repair via the auctions and they a trying to play you for a sucker.… or may be it’s actually the case that something structural (three things structural actually) are fubared… or maybe it’s just a repairable write off and not a structural write off (in which case you are going to be low balled price wise)…

Good luck with it.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Repairing a RWO vehicle is a well documented PITA where you follow VicRoads VIV strict repair rules.
It's the same in SA. Many who repair cars that are technically repairable write off's, try to buy them directly from the owners without insurance intervention. This can be worse in some instances enabling sub-standard repairs on cars that don't show up on record as ROW's.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
OP ... is there a reason you want to get it fixed?

Crash repairs are often pretty poor, I wouldn't put huge wads of cash on it coming back as good as it was before ...

NansGotAnAk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 Commodore Ute
OP ... is there a reason you want to get it fixed?

Crash repairs are often pretty poor, I wouldn't put huge wads of cash on it coming back as good as it was before ...
i wanna get it repaired cause it’s one of the last lot of commodores to be made in australia and it’s my pride and joy, as long as the damage is all hidden i don’t mind

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i wanna get it repaired cause it’s one of the last lot of commodores to be made in australia and it’s my pride and joy, as long as the damage is all hidden i don’t mind

see if you can get a quote to fix it from a repairer then take that quote to the insurance company and tell them you do not want to write it off.
try and negotiate the repair.
if they wont pay the full amount then ask if they will pay 90% and you will add the remainder, this way it gets properly repaired and you dont pay the full cost.
10 or 15 percent of the quote will probably be a lot less than paying the full amount for the parts required to make it look good again.

oh and dont tell the people you get the quote from that it is an insurance quote because they will tack on that special rate they use for insurance jobs ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The whole front unbolts. Radiator support and all. The engines and kframe are offered up from the front during assembly. The radiator support bolted in and the rest bolted to that.

But. If those rails are bent. That’s going to get difficult.

I’d be going to the wreckers to find a white VF.
You will need a new radiator support and new condenser/radiator as well. Might have some harness damage, but with some mad skills, that would be repairable at home on a weekend, with some mates, provided you had all white parts.
Might be a good chance to find a more upspec model front end if the price is right.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Being that it is white and has the evoke front end you will probably be able to source the bonnet,grill,bumper from a wrecker as alot of the fleet evokes were just white so parts might be easy to find.

You will need to check that the headlight housings are intact.
If the airbags have deployed then that is going to cost more.

Price will depend on how cheap you can source the parts.
Looks like both front guards are fecked as well.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Looks like both front guards are fecked as well.
Photo #2 in the first post also looks like the "tab" that mounts the guard to the ... I dunno inner guard? ... is buckled so whatever that attaches to is also prolly munted (if only slightly).