Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ryco Catch Can - RCC350K

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Efficiency of our design or mighty mouse? Generally size becomes a major barrier. The finer the filter, the more media area you want to minimise flow restriction. We aim for around 1 to 2kPa max PCV back pressure on typical turbo diesels which have big PCV flow. But then you need a relatively big filter and big housing. The more oil you capture means you need a big sump so a customer doesn't have to drain too regularly - we aim for most people to get between oil changes. So it's balancing act to provide the performance & drain interval without a giant catch can housing that no one can fit in their engine bay.
I plan to install one in my Director in the near future - hence why we'll do a smaller variant as the RCC350/351's are pretty big.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Sorry for dodgy reply what's your thoughts on different size hose for the inlet and outlet of the catchcan

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'm running the Elite Engineering E2 catch can with clean air separator. Bought it a few years back when the $ was OK. Too expensive now.

Great work AL, good to see an Aussie alternative with proper testing.

How much are they these days?
I've had a new one in the workshop since 2013, haven't actually use it yet...

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
How much are they these days?
I've had a new one in the workshop since 2013, haven't actually use it yet...

With clean,air separator $330 or $350 US + shipping.

Al>

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Calais V Director
I think they are asking about the downsides of having no oil in the intake.
Before PCV systems there was only draft tubes which just vented to crankcase gases to atmosphere. Oil in the intake isn't beneficial.

Al>

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry for dodgy reply what's your thoughts on different size hose for the inlet and outlet of the catchcan
The important thing is to minimise restriction on the PCV system so I’d go with the biggest hoses that work. The RCC350/351 has 25mm ports which is way bigger than the 8mm(?) tube the LS breathes through. You can use a size reducers to make it work.
I’d appreciate it if you could share some pics of the install.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Thanks Al for the reply I have photos of what I have done so far and will take some more of the install . I have seen problems with the provent catch can sucking the rubber pcv valve into the can I presume this is what you were talking about. On the subject of the rcc350 the reason I brought it was the fact that it was plastic and looked OEM and good quality the only other one was the provent which is very similar but I would rather support Australian product than something made elsewhere

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
As long as your breather hose isn't smaller than factory then you are fine, there is no need to go larger due to the port sizes and the PCV being the limiting factor

Going from smaller to larger pipe just gives you a drop in velocity, oil can pool in the hose

The above mentioned catch can/AOS is designed with a heavy breathing turbo diesel in mind, hence the 25mm ports

Reactions: Al>

Al>

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Al for the reply I have photos of what I have done so far and will take some more of the install . I have seen problems with the provent catch can sucking the rubber pcv valve into the can I presume this is what you were talking about. On the subject of the rcc350 the reason I brought it was the fact that it was plastic and looked OEM and good quality the only other one was the provent which is very similar but I would rather support Australian product than something made elsewhere
All excellent reasons!
We're also continuing to develop these products as we see the response and feedback form the market. Like I said, we introduced the RCC351 specifically because we could see the increase in catch can sales to performance petrol & direct injection owners. And we have some newer untis in work to better serve the performance market. Having come from OE (GMH), I deliberately wanted an OE appearance so it's a stealth installation.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Efficiency of our design or mighty mouse? Generally size becomes a major barrier. The finer the filter, the more media area you want to minimise flow restriction. We aim for around 1 to 2kPa max PCV back pressure on typical turbo diesels which have big PCV flow. But then you need a relatively big filter and big housing. The more oil you capture means you need a big sump so a customer doesn't have to drain too regularly - we aim for most people to get between oil changes. So it's balancing act to provide the performance & drain interval without a giant catch can housing that no one can fit in their engine bay.
I plan to install one in my Director in the near future - hence why we'll do a smaller variant as the RCC350/351's are pretty big.
Make sure you let us know about this. Doing an LS specific kit with suitable mounting bracket would certainly bump the sales ;)