Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ryco Catch Can - RCC350K

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Make sure you let us know about this. Doing an LS specific kit with suitable mounting bracket would certainly bump the sales ;)

I'm not sure the typical mounting point, left head, that most use for the LS1 wouldn't work with this.

With the standard intake still installed real estate is fairly tight for a larger AOS, plus being able to install a drain with a remote valve is also a packaging concern, the SAAS drain line only just fits.

For stripping oil and contaminants I have had excellent success with the SAAS unit, and it is a simple install, and relatively cheap.

My main concern for any AOS is the ease of servicing the unit.

The only issue I see with the Ryco unit is placement, and, I assume, is needing to replace the filter, I have had excellent success with using fuel foam as a medium before, and that can be cleaned easily and is cheap if you were ever required to replace it.

In saying this, the only real issue with the SAAS is its limited volume, I'm guessing it might hold 250ml before being "full", whilst it works great as an AOS, if the engine is pushing alot of oil further investigationwould need to be done.

Maybe a remote can connected to the drain line to achieve more volume, or

A return to the sump with some oneway valve (I had something similar to this, -10 return with a oneway valve from can to bung of the sump, on my old racecar, RB25/30 that had a tendency to push large volumes of oil)

Oneway valve was required to allow oil to return to the sump, but not allow blowby to percolate or push the oil back up the line

Meh, food for thought

Attachments

• 20201103_201039_resized.jpg
    20201103_201039_resized.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 20201104_155923_resized.jpg
    20201104_155923_resized.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 20201104_162940_resized.jpg
    20201104_162940_resized.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 20201104_163400_resized.jpg
    20201104_163400_resized.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 213
  • s-l400-2.jpg
    s-l400-2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 185
  • post-75773-0-74233000-1371525285.jpeg
    post-75773-0-74233000-1371525285.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 190

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
The rcc350 states that it should not be mounted to the engine I don't know if this is because it is plastic and will melt or the vibration ?

Al>

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Calais V Director
The rcc350 states that it should not be mounted to the engine I don't know if this is because it is plastic and will melt or the vibration ?
You’d be amazed at how little common sense there is. If I say you can mount to the engine, we’ll get people strapping it to the exhaust.
We vibration tested the unit and it’s very robust. We actually used a GM 10 year durability schedule. The reason it’s better to attach to the body is that you get less oil splash inside the unit as the vibration frequency is less.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You’d be amazed at how little common sense there is. If I say you can mount to the engine, we’ll get people strapping it to the exhaust.
Not surprised one must cater for the LCD among us :rolleyes:

Its sad that one has to put a sharp edge warning on knife packaging cause dumb consumer:eek:
Wasn’t there a joke about Maccas putting a hot coffee warning on the bottom of their cups :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not surprised one must cater for the LCD among us :rolleyes:

Its sad that one has to put a sharp edge warning on knife packaging cause dumb consumer:eek:
Wasn’t there a joke about Maccas putting a hot coffee warning on the bottom of their cups :p

Older vehicles handbooks explained how to adjust valve clearances.
New vehicle handbooks warn against drinking the contents of the battery... :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Older vehicles handbooks explained how to adjust valve clearances.
New vehicle handbooks warn against drinking the contents of the battery... :cool:
Anyone can have kids yet you need a license to have a dog :eek:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Anyone can have kids yet you need a license to have a dog :eek:

I blame their parents and how they were brought up.

Modern parents typically are to involved with their phone or tv or computer or game to worry about what can happen in the real world and passing basic knowledge onto their offspring.

Parents don't teach, they stick a device in their kids hands, or turn on a tv, basically from birth , to do the parenting for them, lazy farks enabling stupid and lazy children.

Plus with the "cotton wool generation" and the "everyone wins a prize generation", I feel all be basics in life are missed, parents don't want to teach, and the kids don't want to learn.

i have alot to do with "adult learning", what I'm finding is over the last 20 years adolescents don't give a fark about most things that involve their effort.

Parents are weak, this has led to weak and "life" stupid kids

My parents taught me about how to cook, clean and basically look aftet myself.

I was taught how to change a tyre when I was strong enough to get the job done, reason being if my mother was driving me somewhere and the car got a flat, it was my job to fhange it.

I was also taught how to service all aspects of a vehicle, why pay some mechanic to do something that can easily by done yourself.

I've passed all this on to my kids, who at 19, 20 and 21 are all successful, self sufficient and consistently do me proud.

Stupid people are raised that way by lazy people.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I blame their parents and how they were brought up....
Exactly...
And to pinch a Forest Gump quote, "stupid is as stupid does"... which is why we need warnings for people not to drink the contents of their battery :eek: cause someone must have done it for the warning to appear o_O

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Exactly...
And to pinch a Forest Gump quote, "stupid is as stupid does"... which is why we need warnings for people not to drink the contents of their battery :eek: cause someone must have done it for the warning to appear o_O

Maybe why most batteries are sealed these days...