Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

s/w wont stay on!

kiwiboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 commodore s/w
hey guys i recently couldent start my car and found out it was just the fuel pump(well i thought) but since ive changed it it starts fine everytime ...... but sometimes when im driving it will die and ill have to pull over and start car again, starts fine everytime but this happens everytime i drive it on average bout every 2kms any help on what may need done or replaced???? thanks ..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Fuel reg to mate check that

QuickVRII95

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Patent Pending 1995 VR Series II V6 Buick
Firstly, What Lights Come On When This Problem Happens... If Your Oil Light Flashes On & Off Sometimes...
Change Your Oil Pressure Switch - Next To Oil Filter.. It IS Tied With Your Fuel Pump..

Check Trouble Codes If Yellow Engine Light Is Flashing Or Solid..

Secondly, Check Your Fuses And Relays... If Your Wipers Stuff Up Sometimes, Check The Fuses Under Your Bonnet.. It Could Be A Loose Fuel Pump Fuse.. The Wiring IS Intertwined With Other Components... (Like The Oil Pressure Switch)

Thirdly, If It Doesn't Sputter Before It Dies On You & You Sometimes Get A Flat Battery Or Cuts When It Gets Hot.. Take Your Alternator Off & Check The Regulator.. (Should Be On Back/Top With Plug On From Harness) (Bushes Could Be Worn)..

Last edited:

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
Firstly, What Lights Come On When This Problem Happens... If Your Oil Light Flashes On & Off Sometimes...
Change Your Oil Pressure Switch - Next To Oil Filter.. It IS Tied With Your Fuel Pump..

Check Trouble Codes If Yellow Engine Light Is Flashing Or Solid..

Secondly, Check Your Fuses And Relays... If Your Wipers Stuff Up Sometimes, Check The Fuses Under Your Bonnet.. It Could Be A Loose Fuel Pump Fuse.. The Wiring IS Intertwined With Other Components... (Like The Oil Pressure Switch)

Thirdly, If It Doesn't Sputter Before It Dies On You & You Sometimes Get A Flat Battery Or Cuts When It Gets Hot.. Take Your Alternator Off & Check The Regulator.. (Should Be On Back/Top With Plug On From Harness) (Bushes Could Be Worn)..

oil pressure switch has nothing to do with the fuel pump. it is there for a back up if the main realy dies..........

kiwiboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 commodore s/w
thanks guys

thanks guy will try a few things tonight and will post back what happens. apreciate the reply once again thanks.

kiwiboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 commodore s/w
tried

hey guys , i tryd taken it fir a drive after i looked at alternator and plugs , wires ect and ran fine... but now it wont start at all it turn over fine but wont fire..any help on this would be awesome..
thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute

you pretty much just burned yourself.

"the oil pressure switch does not, in itself, shut off the fuel pump. It sends a signal to the computer and if certain conditions are met, the computer will shut off the fuel pump."

as explained in other forums (i used to believe the same as you mate, that the oil pressure switch could stop the fuel pump from priming) the ECU will only cut power to the fuel pump IF it is getting no signal from BOTH the oil pressure switch and either the crank angle sensor OR (in a V8) the hall effect sensor (among other things).

Kiwiboy change your Crank angle sensor, they dont always throw error codes to the ECU when they fail, nor can they be reliably tested 100% of the time with the pouring cold water on it trick.