Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shafted by Local Major Autoshop

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
AutobaRn = parts stores.

AutobaHn = mechanical workshop.
If you look at the facebook link it is the same as the parts/accessories outlets (OP has spelt it wong) which are all franchise owned and controlled by Bapcor, a public company listed on the ASX which also own the Burson outlets.
Even the Autobarn store here has an auto lec/contractor/employee ?? doing cameras etc but don't know if they are into mechanical yet.

I feel the OP's pain as I had exactly the same thing done to me on a VN many years ago and it was an automatic shop, and the prick had the hide to check the oil while I stood there and tell me it was not overfilled.
I told him a few things about his heritage and left never to return, so good luck not getting ripped in this day and age.
Last time I took an auto for service repair the owner was a dodgy thieving prick also.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If you look at the facebook link it is the same as the parts/accessories outlets (OP has spelt it wong) which are all franchise owned and controlled by Bapcor, a public company listed on the ASX which also own the Burson outlets.
Even the Autobarn store here has an auto lec/contractor/employee ?? doing cameras etc but don't know if they are into mechanical yet.

I feel the OP's pain as I had exactly the same thing done to me on a VN many years ago and it was an automatic shop, and the prick had the hide to check the oil while I stood there and tell me it was not overfilled.
I told him a few things about his heritage and left never to return, so good luck not getting ripped in this day and age.
Last time I took an auto for service repair the owner was a dodgy thieving prick also.

Must be just a WA thing then - https://autobahn.net.au/

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Last edited:

holdenvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8
Hi all
Just to clarify …the car has been parked for the majority of time since it was serviced ….I sent them a text message mentioning the gearbox amongst other issues after the service …I have supplied the photo of the receipt .
The car was driving ok …only was hard to get moving from park …and there was Tranmission oil leaks where it stopped each time .
It started to get worse ..so when I took it to mechanic …at Robinajust to see if it was just a leak that could be rectified …he tightened up the bolts …the car went great for a day …then went back to bad.
It then on a recent cold day spurted oil from the filler tube and smoke is coming out of engine bay …even after I wiped engine .
It refuses to move more than a few feet ..and then makes a clunking noise .
I am broke a casual worker who has just had his hours slashed ..I would like to sell the car as is for $3500
The engine sounds great ..it has minimal rust …Approx 150000 km .
It is a red Executive station wagon .
Tyres have done approx 5000 km since replaced with new ones.
Engine oil replaced …front and rear brakes done ..not many km ago.
The car is honest …the gearbox was fine until Autobahn serviced it …and that is the honest to God truth.
Its no use fighting them ..I just want to sell the car and use the money to buy another car.
Obviously a car yard will give me nothing if I can’t even drive it to them.
I have seen the same model car in the same red restored to as new …they look stunning witha respray and mag wheels .
I believe this car with some work and a respray will be worth decent money in approx 5 yrs .
cheers.
Holden VY commodore 2003, red wagon Executive approx 150000km

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hi all
Just to clarify …the car has been parked for the majority of time since it was serviced ….I sent them a text message mentioning the gearbox amongst other issues after the service …I have supplied the photo of the receipt .
The car was driving ok …only was hard to get moving from park …and there was Tranmission oil leaks where it stopped each time .
It started to get worse ..so when I took it to mechanic …at Robinajust to see if it was just a leak that could be rectified …he tightened up the bolts …the car went great for a day …then went back to bad.
It then on a recent cold day spurted oil from the filler tube and smoke is coming out of engine bay …even after I wiped engine .
I am broke a casual worker who has just had his hours slashed ..I would like to sell the car as is for $3500
It is a red Executive station wagon
The car is honest …the gearbox was fine until Autobahn serviced it …and that is the honest to God truth.
Its no use fighting them ..I just want to sell the car and use the money to buy another car.
I have seen the same model car in the same red restored to as new …they look stunning witha respray and mag wheels .
I believe this car with some work and a respray will be worth decent money in approx 5 yrs .
cheers.
Do as has been suggested by above. Completely drain transmission and empty pan, refill with specified trans fluid, make sure pan is bolted up to torque specs.
If you aren’t capable, do your research and get a reputable transmission company to do it for you and explain that they need to do this properly unlike the last company.

The way I see it, you’ve got nothing to lose at this point. Even if you sell the car as is for three grand it’s not much to put towards another second hand car that may well be in worse condition than your VY.

And one would imagine if you are battling for a quid now, you could well end up in a deeper well of shite if you make the wrong decision.

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
So you wanted 3k in your original post..now its 3.5k and needs a respray? Mate ..dunno what they are worth over there but i doubt you'd even get 3k for it in NZ... ( im assuming its a V6 ).. Especially with 'a bit of rust' and not driveable. Best of luck

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi all
It is a red Executive station wagon .
cheers.
Check the trans fluid, with the dipstick. Any fluid in it? Not to full? Not enough fluid in it.

If to much, syphon some out. If not enough, add some Dex 111.

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride

1. Power mode switch not working on VY series 1 auto

Just to add, my concern is the switch may have been disabled to mask a major gearbox fault, I haven't a clue, it's the first car ever, where the power button doesn't do anything. I paid over 5 grand for the wagon as it has low kms on the odometer anyway, it felt tight , and drove good, just...Btw..did you find the answer to this post of yours from earlier....?

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride

holdenvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8
Hi it’s easy to have a go … I am actually telling the truth after the service I got a job within walking distance to home …gave my wife the good van so it would be safe for her to get to work …which was the reason I got major service in the first place on the wagon .
So the car was only moved every now and then ..ie it drive fine for rest of day once warmed up when the car was used ..lit just leaked oil every parking spot .
Anyway if someone wants it for $3500 ish …Its available
Car can be viewed at Robina , on Gold Coast.
cheers