Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I got an FX ??

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Methinks everything up to 70's untill 1980(?) selector on driver's then went to passenger side with commodores...there are probably ways around it on forum builds.

Kind of like the straight 6 idea to make slow ol' cruiser with the sounds assuming it wont need engineers report & already been registered with red/blue motor.

If need engineering etc for rego for straight 6 then put in whatever ya want...

Edit....I made a mistake, so I have removed my quote

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Haven't started it yet and already you are considering a swap? Give the old girl a chance.
Once you work on it to make it go and it rewards you by going, there's no going back.
Yeah I get that but I need to make a decision before I go down the wiring worm hole.

I just have this ute available but I'm not sure about the ecotech. nobody here has gotten excited about it so I'm guessing they're not a great engine?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Where’s the car taking you? Plans for shows? Cars n coffee kind of thing?
Cruising on the weekend?

I guess looking at that would be the decider.

Seeing the old motor in there would be cool to see.

The Ecotec brings some comparative reliability.

All through Holden history these have been modified so no biggie if you do go with what’s in there. People will be stoked to see it no matter what.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ecotec is a good motor, I'm quiet a fan and it would go great in the FX but the 186 would probably sound better.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
I have a spare quarter window lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230216-110503_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230216-110503_Gallery.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 90

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Yeah I get that but I need to make a decision before I go down the wiring worm hole.

I just have this ute available but I'm not sure about the ecotech. nobody here has gotten excited about it so I'm guessing they're not a great engine?
By "modern" standards they are bloody good. Talk to mechanics that actually work on cars, Holdens in particularly.
I am thinking of changing cars.. Most mechanics I talk to say "What's wrong with the Commodore? If its ok, keep it. You wont get something as relaible today".
You mentioned the wiring wormhole. Why? The wiring in the FX will be much the same as in what's needed for the 186 I mean, it will be pretty much the same as the original grey motor. So you HAVE to go down that wormhole. But, to put an ecotec in there is a whole nuther wormhole. Far more complicated than the FX wiring, either standard or with the 186.
Think this way: The 186 needs the same as the old grey (give or take a few). You still have to have lights and wipers (maybe), radio, heater etc etc.
Then have a look at the VS.... Lots of wiring there. Engine with all it's sensors, coils, injector wiring etc. Then there's the ECU and all the things it needs to work. BCM as well? Fuel pump/tank?
If it was me I would keep the 186, get it wired and running. Then if you still decide to go the ecotec route, there's not much of the FX/186 wiring you would have to do over. Just a lot more to add.
I've done some homework for you:
https://v6conversions.net.au/fx-fj-v6/

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
By "modern" standards they are bloody good. Talk to mechanics that actually work on cars, Holdens in particularly.
I am thinking of changing cars.. Most mechanics I talk to say "What's wrong with the Commodore? If its ok, keep it. You wont get something as relaible today".
You mentioned the wiring wormhole. Why? The wiring in the FX will be much the same as in what's needed for the 186 I mean, it will be pretty much the same as the original grey motor. So you HAVE to go down that wormhole. But, to put an ecotec in there is a whole nuther wormhole. Far more complicated than the FX wiring, either standard or with the 186.
Think this way: The 186 needs the same as the old grey (give or take a few). You still have to have lights and wipers (maybe), radio, heater etc etc.
Then have a look at the VS.... Lots of wiring there. Engine with all it's sensors, coils, injector wiring etc. Then there's the ECU and all the things it needs to work. BCM as well? Fuel pump/tank?
If it was me I would keep the 186, get it wired and running. Then if you still decide to go the ecotec route, there's not much of the FX/186 wiring you would have to do over. Just a lot more to add.
I've done some homework for you:
https://v6conversions.net.au/fx-fj-v6/
probably a good option, thank you Mirra. not much of the wiring would be wasted just more required if I fit the Eco later.
For $3k that seems like a bloody decent Mod kit. I already have the cross member & steering rack fitted. Mmm.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
My 2 cents mate keep the 186. Add a set of triples will sound mint

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Sure you can make an L67 rip hard in something lightweight...downside is they still sound like a makita drill.

Even if 202 is slow can still make it sound cool with right mods.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They don't sound to bad with a full twin system with a few balance pipe. A big single sounds.....

Reactions: Lex