Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SOLVED] Blue 202 won't warm/hot start/idle

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 Blue 3.3 Vactioner
Sounds like it's running lean when hot to me if it was fuel pump or float issues it would run bad hot or cold ?
So just the mixture screw, you think? Or choke?
I'm used to working on motorcycle carbys, so this is new teritory for me.

The mixture screw is on the engine side of the carby - on a bike this would mean the mix changes by regulating fuel (if it was on the air filter side, it'd regulate the mix with air). But on this Varajet, I think the mix screw just regulates with air, does it?

Re: the choke - again, on a bike, I am used to the choke being opened to start it on the cold, and then closing it off when up to temp. On the Varajet, when it gets hotter the auto-choke opens the choke full... I would have assumed this would just stall it from way to much air, but it just seems to be the way the auto-choke works... fully open at temp...?

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi sundaydriver I should have been a little more specific about the "heavy" float, if memory serves me correctly the float only weighs a few grams so couple of extra grams is quite a lot in the scheme of things I believe that the float weight would be available somewhere and the float itself can be weighed successfully on a digital kitchen scale. Regards hiker
Float seems OK. Did the leak test. And measured weight. 8g (that's what the replacement are listed as weighing.)

Attached a few other pictures just for the same of it. Maybe someone will see something off...

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 386
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 239
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 225
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 251
  • File_004.jpeg
    File_004.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 224

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Choke should be open when hot on any engine. Throttle will still be closed at idle to control air volume.
I built one of these nearly 20 years ago so I'm a bit rusty on the detail. Could be mixture or even idle speed too low but you said it dies at revs too so not likely idle speed..
Don't these have vacuum secondaries? Is the secondary kicking in at revs?

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Choke should be open when hot on any engine. Throttle will still be closed at idle to control air volume.
I built one of these nearly 20 years ago so I'm a bit rusty on the detail. Could be mixture or even idle speed too low but you said it dies at revs too so not likely idle speed..
Don't these have vacuum secondaries? Is the secondary kicking in at revs?
OK, thank you. No, haven't seen the secondary open yet. Isn't it only for when it's working really hard?(it hasn't been)

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
OK, thank you. No, haven't seen the secondary open yet. Isn't it only for when it's working really hard?(it hasn't been)
Had a Torry back in the day and I too was at a loss why she was stalling when hot and after many days/nights stressing
AND after rebuilding the fuel pump I decided that it was not the problem.
Guess what....It WAS the b%$#@ fuel pump.
I ended up getting a brand newie and she never missed a beat right up until I sold her.
So what I'm trying to say is for the cost of a new pump it just MIGHT be the answer here.If not then it's 1 thing off the elimination list .
Another thing to watch out for on the scarijet is the power valve,make sure it
s in correctly and not floating up and down like mine was...(on Commy)
I can fix this problem easily.
Good Luck.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had a Torry back in the day and I too was at a loss why she was stalling when hot and after many days/nights stressing
AND after rebuilding the fuel pump I decided that it was not the problem.
Guess what....It WAS the b%$#@ fuel pump.
I ended up getting a brand newie and she never missed a beat right up until I sold her.
So what I'm trying to say is for the cost of a new pump it just MIGHT be the answer here.If not then it's 1 thing off the elimination list .
Another thing to watch out for on the scarijet is the power valve,make sure it
s in correctly and not floating up and down like mine was...(on Commy)
I can fix this problem easily.
Good Luck.
Thanks for that - good to know the symptoms are not unique.
Have bought a second-hand mech-fuel pump from the wreckers. So that will help me rule it out. May invest in a new one if it shows promise.

Got a coile, rotor, module, dizy cap, and lead set to help rule out that side of things too.

Not sure what you mean by power valve? can't see it in the Varajet schematics... does it have a different name? Primary jet? And where abouts in the carby is it?

Last edited:

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Have bought a second-hand mech-fuel pump from the wreckers. So that will help me rule it out. May invest in a new one if it shows promise.

Got a coile, rotor, module, dizy cap, and lead set to help rule out that side of things too.

Not sure what you mean by power valve? can't see it in the Varajet schematics... does it have a different name? Primary jet? And where abouts in the carby is it?
The power valve is a white plastic plunging type of thing in the middle of the carb
If U can get hold of a gregorys workshop manual it shows it in the carb section.
A carby guy can probably set U right cause I have always had good dealings with mine.
Cheers and GL.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais

https://www.howacarworks.com/fuel-systems/checking-and-cleaning-a-gm-varajet-carburettor

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
The power valve I'm talking about is on the 1st pic marked Partial-Load Needle
just check to see the whole thing isn't loose and if it is I can help U out with an easy fix.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
The power valve I'm talking about is on the 1st pic marked Partial-Load Needle
just check to see the whole thing isn't loose and if it is I can help U out with an easy fix.
Thanks for that - good site - probably the best diagrams I've seen of these cars so far.
It sees pretty solid. Spring load is solid and doesn't rattle around at all. Worth taking out to inspect anyway?