Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SOLVED] Blue 202 won't warm/hot start/idle

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Thanks for that - good site - probably the best diagrams I've seen of these cars so far.
It sees pretty solid. Spring load is solid and doesn't rattle around at all. Worth taking out to inspect anyway?
Be very careful when touching these parts as they are VERY fragile and go by the instructions.
Did U check/clean/replace in line filter?
That's located between fuel supply line and neddle and seat.
Also make sure the main filter/s in engine bay are clean.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 Blue 3.3 Vactioner
Be very careful when touching these parts as they are VERY fragile and go by the instructions.
Did U check/clean/replace in line filter?
That's located between fuel supply line and neddle and seat.
Also make sure the main filter/s in engine bay are clean.
Yeah the line filter is clean (though I couldn't get it out of the inlet valve and didn't to break it, so just made sure there was no grit/debris on either side). New fuel filter is in too.
I am just uploading a short video to YouTube to illustrate the symptoms. I'll also post an update with all the parts I've replaced, to help eliminate stuff.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK. Things I have done/eliminated/replaced:
  1. Carb
    • re-kitted (needle/seat, gaskets, float - set to 8mm - plunger skirt)
    • Idle mix screw reset to 1.5 turns out
    • Idle speed (main) screw untouched from factory (I did experiment to see if it'd help, but it didn't, so I reset)
    • Manifold/mount gaskets replaced (this was mainly to fix an initial vacuum leak...I think doing so just moved the leak somewhere else - not as bad though.)
    • Checked Power value spring ( thanks @commy vk )
    • Check main jet
    • Cleaned everything thoroughly
  2. Choke
    • Replaced bi-metal spring (was working OK, but it's a nothing part so replaced it anyway)
  3. Distributor
    • Replaced dizzy cap
    • Replaced rotor
  4. Replaced spark plugs
  5. Replaced leads set
  6. Replaced Coil
  7. Replaced ignition module ( thanks @EYY )
  8. Replaced fuel filter
  9. Replaced fuel pump (mechanical)
  10. Replaced manifold vacuum trees
  11. Checked all vacuum lines
  12. Check all electrics (multi-metered)
  13. Battery is fine
  14. It's had a full tank of petrol with cleaner through it in the last month, so it's not bad fuel
  15. Radiator is fine - no leaks, good coolant level, temp fine when warm
Here's a short video. It's a cold start (0:12). You'll notice it starts and idles, with a higher vacuum, fine and takes revs (0:24). Gets up to temp quickly and then starts having problems.
Initially, after a couple revs, it starts idling a little lower/slower (0:37). Then I give it some continuous low revs (0:45) - in the video it sounds like I'm pumping the gas, but I'm not - it just wobbles under continuous low revs (1:15). Then when I give it one final pump and it dies when my foot comes off (1:20). And this is all inside 90 seconds - from cold to warm. You do head a few squeeks thoughout - not sure if it's just fan belt or timing? But either way, it really shouldn't cause this problem.
At this stage, I can only get it started with foot on the gas and keeping it at revs (even then it'll sometimes stall), but as soon as my foot comes off gas, it dies.

I'm at a loss...

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
  1. Carb
    • Idle speed (main) screw untouched from factory (I did experiment to see if it'd help, but it didn't, so I reset)
    • Manifold/mount gaskets replaced (this was mainly to fix an initial vacuum leak...I think doing so just moved the leak somewhere else - not as bad though.)
    • Check main jet
  2. Choke
    • Replaced bi-metal spring (was working OK, but it's a nothing part so replaced it anyway)
  3. Distributor
    • Replaced dizzy cap
    • Replaced rotor
  4. Replaced spark plugs
  5. Replaced leads set
  6. Replaced Coil
  8. Replaced fuel filter
  13. Battery is fine
  14. It's had a full tank of petrol with cleaner through it in the last month, so it's not bad fuel
Here's a short video. It's a cold start (0:12). You'll notice it starts and idles, with a higher vacuum, fine and takes revs (0:24). Gets up to temp quickly and then starts having problems.
Initially, after a couple revs, it starts idling a little lower/slower (0:37). Then I give it some continuous low revs (0:45) - in the video it sounds like I'm pumping the gas, but I'm not - it just wobbles under continuous low revs (1:15). Then when I give it one final pump and it dies when my foot comes off (1:20). And this is all inside 90 seconds - from cold to warm. You do head a few squeeks thoughout - not sure if it's just fan belt or timing? But either way, it really shouldn't cause this problem.
At this stage, I can only get it started with foot on the gas and keeping it at revs (even then it'll sometimes stall), but as soon as my foot comes off gas, it dies.

I'm at a loss...

1. Carb
    • Check main jet
  2. Choke
  3. Distributor
    • Replaced dizzy cap
    • Replaced rotor
  4. Replaced spark plugs
  5. Replaced leads set
  6. Replaced Coil
  8. Replaced fuel filter
  13. Battery is fine

I'm at a loss...

I noticed that the pcv valve is off and I thought they were meant to be connected to a vacuum just under the carb on the manifold?Also have you run her with the air filter on?After watching the video I'm thinking it's a vacuum issue.
Are all the hoses on?
Is the auto choke bimetal spring hooked up on the lug properly,as this seems to be overlooked a lot?Is the vacuum line for the transmission connected and not leaking?

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does (or did) your carb have the plastic spacer underneath it?

If it does it should have a slot in it, the gasket between the carb and the plastic spacer should have a hole in it to match the slot in the carb spacer, this is for the idle circuit. Block this hole/slot and it won't idle.

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
I noticed that the pcv valve is off and I thought they were meant to be connected to a vacuum just under the carb on the manifold?Also have you run her with the air filter on?After watching the video I'm thinking it's a vacuum issue.
Are all the hoses on?
Is the auto choke bimetal spring hooked up on the lug properly,as this seems to be overlooked a lot?Is the vacuum line for the transmission connected and not leaking?
Yeh, runs exactly the same way with the air filter on and pcv connected. I've put a plug on it since the video so I can run it without the filter and still have full vacuum, so don't think it's that.
Choke is on properly.
All lines are connected (except the heater pipes, which have been bi-passed) and tight - am not able to find any leaks visually or by spraying all the joints with carby cleaner. There could be a cracked line somewhere, but would have to replace them all to find out... small crack in one on the lines likely to cause this though?

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does (or did) your carb have the plastic spacer underneath it?

If it does it should have a slot in it, the gasket between the carb and the plastic spacer should have a hole in it to match the slot in the carb spacer, this is for the idle circuit. Block this hole/slot and it won't idle.
Yeah it does - looks like a '6'. Made sure it wasn't blocked when I put it all back.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Put a stromberg on it and forget about it! :D

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you are certain there is a vacuum leak you can try finding it with a can of Start Ya Bastard.