Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SOLVED] Blue 202 won't warm/hot start/idle

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 202 Blue 3.3 Vactioner
If you are certain there is a vacuum leak you can try finding it with a can of Start Ya Bastard.
Tried that with carb cleaner - same concept but less explode-y - searching for a the spot that make the engine idle smoother and/or stops the fan from sporadically revving up to compensate for the lost vacuum pressure.
Not certain there is one anyway. Just assuming there is based on the vacuum manifold gauge wavering. Could just be what ever is causing the bad idle though. Not sure of anything :(

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
It was junk in the (steel) fuel line - like plaque in an artery.

Should have guessed it, but I assumed the filter would have caught it - either it got through the filter or it was on the wrong side already.

My best guess - in hindsight - is that it was shaken loose when I put a full tank of gas in and added a fuel line cleaner. Got stuck about 2 inches up inside the steel fuel like, just back from the carb inlet.
Couldn't see it. Only found it by chance, poking a small wire bunch-ended cue-tip looking tool in the end - just to see... and out came a plug of crap that must have been blocking half the line.

So there you go. Very unsatisfying conclusion. Cheers to everyone for their input.

At least now I have some knowledge under my belt, and a practically new engine bay!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yippee, don't ya just love it when you go on a wild goose chase only to find the golden egg on your back doorstep lol.
Never heard of fuel line cleaner, I'll stay away from it now!!
Bet your carby has never been cleaner though BAHAHA!

sundaydriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yippee, don't ya just love it when you go on a wild goose chase only to find the golden egg on your back doorstep lol.
Never heard of fuel line cleaner, I'll stay away from it now!!
Bet your carby has never been cleaner though BAHAHA!

I know right!? Still - have never really done any work on cars, so this was a good way to learn about all the basics and carbs.

This was the stuff. On mechanics advice, used the whole bottle for the fist full tank as it's been garaged for ~30 years. Guess it did the job though - as it knocked all the junk free. Shame the fuel line filter didn't catch it. Otherwise I'd have expected it to endup in the carb inlet filter (which would have been a lot more obvious!)

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I know right!? Still - have never really done any work on cars, so this was a good way to learn about all the basics and carbs.

This was the stuff. On mechanics advice, used the whole bottle for the fist full tank as it's been garaged for ~30 years. Guess it did the job though - as it knocked all the junk free. Shame the fuel line filter didn't catch it. Otherwise I'd have expected it to endup in the carb inlet filter (which would have been a lot more obvious!)
Hallelujah Brother