Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Someone crashed into my VE SV6!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey X man, shame to hear about your crash, but that really doesn't look like a 60k hit to me either ... If it is then the VE took it very very well. I'd say it will be fine after the repairs. You might want to check the repair quote if they are replacing the front seats though ? cos the impact of you slamming into the seat could have damged them.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Some of you are forgetting the towbar took most of the impact, not the visible rear of the car. There is a lot of damage underneath as it actually pushed the towbar up underneath the car. Good point about the front seat, will raise it with the insurer.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It does look like the exhaust has been pushed forward a little, suggesting your rear bumper has been puc=shed in and sprung back out, but seriously if the tow bar got hit at 60k's, it would be resting on the gearbox..

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Not correct, the towbar and frame pushed up towards the spare wheel well (which is way busted). The driver said he was doing the speed limit and the brake lock went for about 2 secs before the collision. There is no way a car can slow down from 80kms/hr to under 60kms/h in 2secs with brake lockup. You don't need to be an engineer to work this one out. The police estimated the same speed as i did.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
my rodeo got pranged at 60 and it looked fine visualy out side but behind the plastic 14000 damage dont ever judge the impact speed by the plastic damage its all about how the enrgy is disapated and it seams the ve did a exelent job with this

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Not correct, the towbar and frame pushed up towards the spare wheel well (which is way busted). The driver said he was doing the speed limit and the brake lock went for about 2 secs before the collision. There is no way a car can slow down from 80kms/hr to under 60kms/h in 2secs with brake lockup. You don't need to be an engineer to work this one out. The police estimated the same speed as i did.

When it is repaired just make sure they use genuine parts and replace all the bent panels and the welds are properly protected against corrosion. If you know where it is being fixed go and ask them what the insurer has authorised as some insist on non genuine, 2nd hand or reco parts. With this car I would be insisting all bent structual parts are replaced with new bits and go and see it during the process.
If it's all done properly and no high strength stel is heated up and or bent back into shape it shoudl be OK but you have to watch these insurance companies as some do tend to dictate the qualit of the repair. Who is the insurer?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I got T-boned in my VY at 60kmh, and it didn't even bend the bonnet. Ripped everything out from under the front end and smashed the guard and front bar. But the bonnet was completely untouched.

Point is, looks can be deceiving.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The resultant appearance of a car after an accident is not a clear indication of the damage sustained from the impact. My old man was actually rear ended while waiting at lights by a torana doing 80km/h while the bloke faffed around looking for his mobile phone which had slipped under his seat. The torana was a write off - the VP SS my dad was driving wasn't. He even drove it 2km to the nearest smash repairer. Although, it didn't make it up the driveway. The rear end dropped and was sitting on the concrete by then. Wasn't a write off. But was awful afterwards - put that down to the shoddy smash repairer though.

+ 1 for checking the seat - and the engine mounts and the gearbox. A shunt like that can have a massive impact. The driver's seat in dad's SS was all but detached from the 80km/h hit and the gearbox was damaged. 2 engine mounts snapped.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
When it is repaired just make sure they use genuine parts and replace all the bent panels and the welds are properly protected against corrosion. If you know where it is being fixed go and ask them what the insurer has authorised as some insist on non genuine, 2nd hand or reco parts. With this car I would be insisting all bent structual parts are replaced with new bits and go and see it during the process.
If it's all done properly and no high strength stel is heated up and or bent back into shape it shoudl be OK but you have to watch these insurance companies as some do tend to dictate the qualit of the repair. Who is the insurer?

Already done. I have it in writing that only new OEM parts will be used for repair. I also have it in writing that visual checks will be made by the insurers engineer at various stages of repairs. The insurer is RAA Insurance.

I took it to a very reputable crash repairer that many have recommended. Even the RAA had nothing but praise for the repairer and as mentioned i met the owner who showed me around the workshop and explained in detail the steps that will be taken to repair my car. He also said that RAA is the most stringent and tough insurance company to deal with, it's got to be all done properly or they simply do not get paid.