Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering lock module

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
My SSV redline is 5 years old, already the steering lock module needs replacing, at a cost of a little over $390, is this common in a VF?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I would be suspicious if all they did was pull the error code and claim it is faulty.

The message is common in the vf but if you think it is really faulty then just replace it for peace of mind.
Keep in mind that when the replacement module shows the same message the dealer will not refund you for them replacing a perfectly good part.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What was the specific error message you were getting, or was it picked up by the dealer during a service? I've had a few messages about the Keyless Entry Module in the past with my HSV Gen-F2 GTS, but they went away and haven't appeared again.

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
What was the specific error message you were getting, or was it picked up by the dealer during a service? I've had a few messages about the Keyless Entry Module in the past with my HSV Gen-F2 GTS, but they went away and haven't appeared again.
The message is service steering column lock, it was coming up every now and then for a few weeks, but steering column was and still is locking and unlocking no problem, i took it to the dealer to check it, they said they put it on the computer, and the code came up for faulty steering column lock module

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
I would be suspicious if all they did was pull the error code and claim it is faulty.

The message is common in the vf but if you think it is really faulty then just replace it for peace of mind.
Keep in mind that when the replacement module shows the same message the dealer will not refund you for them replacing a perfectly good part.
Yeah, it is a hard one, steering is locking and unlocking A OK, the service steering column lock message has only been coming on, on and off for a few weeks, but the dealer claims they checked it on the computer, and error code was coming up for steering lock module, and that it needs to be replaced, i asked why then is the steering lock working fine, and they just said the module is not receiving the signal at times, and it could eventualy lock, and then not unlock, or unlock, then not lock, i do not really want to spend 400 bucks to replace something that may not have anything wrong with it, but then again what if it really is faulty?, and why is it common for this message to come up on VFs anyway?, sometimes i wish i had not bought this car

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
.... I've had a few messages about the Keyless Entry Module in the past with my HSV Gen-F2 GTS, but they went away and haven't appeared again.

Oops, I made a mistake, mixed up two problems I had/have - Steering Column Lock Control Module, and Keyless Entry Module.

With the first problem I was getting the same messages as yours, re the Steering Column Lock Control Module. I pulled a lot of information on the problem from the Holden VF service manual and had intended, as a first step, to remove/reseat the module in case it was a simple corrosion issue. It went on my To-do list. When the problem went away, it moved to the bottom of my To-do list and eventually disappeared. I think it's around 18 months since I last had any message.

The second problem I have is an error code U0140 - Keyless Entry Module - Lost Communication with BCM, which is different to your problem.

Not sure if that helps you with your decision, but if the message comes back, my first step will be to remove/reseat the module. It doesn't look like being difficult or time-consuming.

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
Oops, I made a mistake, mixed up two problems I had/have - Steering Column Lock Control Module, and Keyless Entry Module.

With the first problem I was getting the same messages as yours, re the Steering Column Lock Control Module. I pulled a lot of information on the problem from the Holden VF service manual and had intended, as a first step, to remove/reseat the module in case it was a simple corrosion issue. It went on my To-do list. When the problem went away, it moved to the bottom of my To-do list and eventually disappeared. I think it's around 18 months since I last had any message.

The second problem I have is an error code U0140 - Keyless Entry Module - Lost Communication with BCM, which is different to your problem.

Not sure if that helps you with your decision, but if the message comes back, my first step will be to remove/reseat the module. It doesn't look like being difficult or time-consuming.
Since posting my first message about my steering column lock module warning message, but wheel still locking and unlocking, the wheel now does not lock, so i guess the module does actualy need replacing, not happy that this module would fail after only 5 years, in a car with under 40,000 ks on it, but it is what it is, goodbye to 400 bucks

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Since posting my first message about my steering column lock module warning message, but wheel still locking and unlocking, the wheel now does not lock, so i guess the module does actualy need replacing, not happy that this module would fail after only 5 years, in a car with under 40,000 ks on it, but it is what it is, goodbye to 400 bucks

Have you tried holden customer care?
If not give it a go and explain everything except the dealer interaction and see what they say.

Waykool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redlineS
Have you tried holden customer care?
If not give it a go and explain everything except the dealer interaction and see what they say.

Could not be bothered, i know they will not help, car is already booked in to get the steering column lock module replaced, obviously in some cases when these warnings show up, the module really does need replacing, and it is not just a case of this message showing up very now and then, and then going away on the VF