Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yes, I “bang on” about this but in the the case of the Ford powershift fault, the court came to a conclusion that Ford were not following their legal obligations making it rather clear they were being bushbags. In fact if anyone had one of those Ford powersh!t vehicles and sold it for a loss because of the issues, it looks like they may be able to revisit that loss with Ford...

@426Cuda ....didn't a member of your family have an issue along these lines ?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Yeah, it must have been a frustrating process but it’s all good now (hopefully)....

What I’m surprised at is that there still has been no forced recall on this power steering failure issue... DOTARS must be quicker (and more transparent) at getting to the bottom of this.

Just out of curiosity, has DOTARS responded to your report in any way?
No, we haven't heard from them.

SSalty

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SV6 Wagon
Hello all,
Just joined just commodores 5 mins ago and would like to add something re:VF powersteering failure. This happened to me about 2 weeks ago and i finally got the car into my local Holden service centre today, 1.5.18 It was with much trepidation i waited for the call to tell me what was wrong with the car (even though i knew from reading all the comments). They called me this arvo. steering rack has to be replaced. To my amazement they told me that they had put in a good will claim with Holden to have repairs done so now just waiting to hear back from Holden. Thought i was going to be up for a fortune but no. fingers crossed as to what happens. Thanks SSalty

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The response you get changes from dealer to dealer. Some play dumb and others make it easy.

My take on it is those that make demands will still pay nothing at the right dealers.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
You do understand the dealer is going to tell you that you have to pay them $149.00 to "check it out" and ensure there is a code present first , no code then you have to cough up the $149.00 and you won't get the power steering repaired This is the reason I posted the link above about the ACCC and Ford ... showing that their behaviour is what Holden are guilty of with the power steering. Same behaviour. There is no way of checking this out yourself and the code isn't store for very long, so by the time you book it in and take it there, high chance the code has disappeared. Nice little earner for the Dealer.
Yes. I'll risk the one fiddy. Rather than have it fail at 8/10ths on a mountain bend one day.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
@426Cuda ....didn't a member of your family have an issue along these lines ?
Yeah my Daughter. It was a manual though.
The engine failed in the end. Ford eventually replaced the engine, 2 clutches and the gearbox. She sold it the day after the new engine went in. Ford were a bunch of Ahh soles. The buyer was fully informed and happy.

Last edited:

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
fingers crossed as to what happens. Thanks SSalty

Is it a complete lock up or just loss of assisted power steering?

Did they advise you to stop driving the car until they have a chance to fix it (or driving is at your own risk) ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah my Daughter. It was a manual though.
The engine failed in the end. Ford eventually replaced the engine, 2 clutches and the gearbox. She sold it the day after the new engine went in. Ford were a bunch of Ahh soles. The buyer was fully informed and happy.
I think there was also a head gasket issue that Ford knew about and likely were fobbing people off in the same way.

But at any time in the process, if you placed a demand on Ford (easier if formal via letter) to replace the car or provide a full refund and they refused. Then they fixed it instead, Ford has not complied with the law. And if you subsequently sold the car at a $6K loss because you didn’t trust it wouldn’t occur again, then you’d likely have a claim against Ford.

Remember this is the game Ford played with the powershift issues and their loyalty program... loyalty mu ars e.

Now is the time to act as the’d be peeved at the $10M fine for their systemic law breaking and their miss deeds would be ringing in their ears.

So feel like a challenge Cuda? I’d love to see you claw back the $6K for your daughter.

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I think there was also a head gasket issue that Ford knew about and likely were fobbing people off in the same way.

But at any time in the process, if you placed a demand on Ford (easier if formal via letter) to replace the car or provide a full refund and they refused. Then they fixed it instead, Ford has not complied with the law. And if you subsequently sold the car at a $6K loss because you didn’t trust it wouldn’t occur again, then you’d likely have a claim against Ford.

Remember this is the game Ford played with the powershift issues and their loyalty program... loyalty mu ars e.

Now is the time to act as the’d be peeved at the $10M fine for their systemic law breaking and their miss deeds would be ringing in their ears.

So feel like a challenge Cuda? I’d love to see you claw back the $6K for your daughter.

Are you a Lawyer?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think that what you're talking about here is within some broader context, because what you've said here is incorrect as it's written.
Ford are required to FIX the problem, there's no requirement for a refund or replacement.
If they said it was fixed but it wasn't fixed; well, they are required to fix it.
Then if they said it was fixed but it wasn't fixed; again, they are required to fix it.

I guess maybe you could spend $60k on lawyers to throw a civil suit against them for the loss of that $6k, even though it'd be pretty dubious ...