Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Black Wheels on VF Calais

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Did you fit it yourself and was it easy, I have seen them on ebay for sale, I'm liking them more than the other spoilers, can you take some more pixs of it?

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
What spoiler is that on your boot lip? Did you fit it?
Yes, just fitted it properly today! Yesterday it was just taped down to see what it would look like. It gives a nice highlight without drilling holes. I was thinking of chroming it but that would open up an entirely new thread here... :D

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
It is really person preference. I prefer the Calais wheels. Thr Calais and the Evoque definately have the best ride.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you fit it yourself and was it easy, I have seen them on ebay for sale, I'm liking them more than the other spoilers, can you take some more pixs of it?
Sure, I'll take a few and upload them for you.

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Philmecrackun,

Photos below as promised!

The colour is Phantom Black (gloss with slight silver speckled). It comes with paper templates that you align with the boot and tape down to ensure it is perfectly centred and aligned. Easy to fit, no holes to drill just double sided tape.

GMH Part No. is 92507851.
I managed to get mine at trade price for $116.

I'm happy with the subtle black highlight. Still might get it chromed... :rolleyes:

20190203_181423.jpg
20190203_181514.jpg
20190203_181443.jpg

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Hi Philmecrackun,

Photos below as promised!

The colour is Phantom Black (gloss with slight silver speckled). It comes with paper templates that you align with the boot and tape down to ensure it is perfectly centred and aligned. Easy to fit, no holes to drill just double sided tape.

GMH Part No. is 92507851.
I managed to get mine at trade price for $116.

I'm happy with the subtle black highlight. Still might get it chromed... :rolleyes:

View attachment 203490 View attachment 203491 View attachment 203492

Great job mate. My opinion - DON'T CHROME IT!! Lol, in all seriousness, it matches the other black bits well, particularly the tail light surrounds and the rear visor (fitted one of those myself the other day, love the look ), and the chrome wouldn't look anywhere as neat. But hey, your car you do with it as you see fit. It looks great, well done :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
They look better than stock ones on your car. Nice

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
Great job mate. My opinion - DON'T CHROME IT!! Lol, in all seriousness, it matches the other black bits well, particularly the tail light surrounds and the rear visor (fitted one of those myself the other day, love the look ), and the chrome wouldn't look anywhere as neat. But hey, your car you do with it as you see fit. It looks great, well done :)
Thanks tml678, It must be the wog in me, wanting to chrome everything lol :D

I agree, it matches the black on the rear of the car. Besides, chroming would probably cost more than the spoiler and I would have to reapply it all over again.

Yes, I have to be happy with it but it's always good to get on the forum and see what others have done with their cars. That's why I started the thread for the wheels. I'm actually pleased with the response even though there's mixed opinions. Goes to show that we all have different tastes but it shows that to some people that those wheels do in fact look quite good! In the end I'll have to make the decision but at least it's not going to be an expensive one. Tyres are a straight swap. I tried the 19" Calais V wheels last year and they cost me nearly $2000. Luckily the seller bought them back for the same price. They did transform the car but it came at a cost not only in purchase but also in ride and comfort levels. I was so used to the comfort in my VX Calais that it made the decision in purchasing a VF.

I'm more used to dressing up HG Kingswoods and Premiers... hmm... I wonder if rear wheel spats would look any good on this? o_O

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
It must be the wog in me

I'm more used to dressing up HG Kingswoods and Premiers

So..no Valiants..? ;)

Lol, this is a good place to come for advice and seeking the opinion of others. I've had a good look at your pics again and I reckon the black edition wheels do suit it well. If you hadn't have added the other black highlights to match the wheels then it wouldn't have come together as well.

I get what you're saying about the Calais comfort too. That's one of the main attractions to it and you definitely don't want to lose that. I found my CalaisV wagon on the 19's was a bit too firm on occasion. I guess I'm at the age (40) where the desire for comfort is slowly becoming more and more important..

Hence the reason why I would have had a grange over the senator if it had the LSA..

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
No Valiants except for one of my great grandfathers who owned a '68 model :D
My father and grandfather were always Holden patriots and we still own all the family cars to this day.

Yes, the black SV6 wheels are a good balance with black and machined alloy. When we did the swap the other day I was surprised at how good they actually looked. The rear of the car moreso than the front. The Calais grille cries out for class and refinement but I'm sure it will get used to it. I was thinking of painting the lower grille and foglamp surrounds in Phantom Black to match the rear. Has anyone ever done this?

I don't see the difference between these on a Calais and putting HQ Monaro rally wheels on a standard HQ Kingswood/Premier to dress it up. My father did this to his HQ as did many in the day. This was also the case with the HK-T-G Monaro hubcaps.

My personal preference over the SV6 wheels be the standard Calais V 19" rims as they are the correct upgrade for the car.
If there was a way of improving the ride somehow then I would bite the bullet and put them on instead. Comfort has always been important since my first Kingswood. Love the ride and how the car soaks up the bumps. I'm 37 this year.... It looks like I'm the reverse and wanting a sporty look over the refinement o_O

The rear window shade would look great on your Senator. It fills in the rear. Does it have the lip spoiler too? Any pics on the forum?

Last edited: