Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swapping Steering Wheels

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The new steering wheel does not have threads in red highlighted section. How does the horn mechanism attach to it ?
How far do those 3 torx screws go.

Would like ro be clear on this before I start pulling it apart

View attachment 216695View attachment 216696
Ron l have 2 vf wheels sitting here ( one flat bottom + the round one). Both have the threaded holes.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ron l have 2 vf wheels sitting here ( one flat bottom + the round one). Both have the threaded holes.
Bizzare. Are they new or used? Could this just be factory defect or do screws just make their own thread because it's alloy...

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
The new steering wheel does not have threads in red highlighted section. How does the horn mechanism attach to it ?
How far do those 3 torx screws go.

Would like ro be clear on this before I start pulling it apart

View attachment 216695View attachment 216696
I just fitted a brand new steering wheel in the weekend, mine was the same with no thread,
but because the aluminium they use is so soft the screws just tap their own thread, you just tighten them up until they bottom out on the shoulder. Have my wheel in now and am loving it very easy job to do in all of about 15 minuteS.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I just fitted a brand new steering wheel in the weekend, mine was the same with no thread,
but because the aluminium they use is so soft the screws just tap their own thread, you just tighten them up until they bottom out on the shoulder. Have my wheel in now and am loving it very easy job to do in all of about 15 minuteS.

Good to know. I ll give it a crack tomorrow. Any tricky bits ? was you centre bolt really tight ?

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Good to know. I ll give it a crack tomorrow. Any tricky bits ? was you centre bolt really tight ?
No my bolt was fine but that’s probably because I was the last one to put it back on when I pulled the entire dash out, just put a bit of thread locker on it when I put it back in.
Honestly the trickiest part is getting the stupid airbag off then just need to be careful when pulling off the trim that houses the controls as it is literally just pushed into the rubber/foam material of the steering wheel, you can see on the new one where they go so just lever it off slowly and evenly at those points.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
No my bolt was fine but that’s probably because I was the last one to put it back on when I pulled the entire dash out, just put a bit of thread locker on it when I put it back in.
Honestly the trickiest part is getting the stupid airbag off then just need to be careful when pulling off the trim that houses the controls as it is literally just pushed into the rubber/foam material of the steering wheel, you can see on the new one where they go so just lever it off slowly and evenly at those points.

Thanks mate. I bought new bolt so I am good to go.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
They are both used.
Contact your suppler & ask?

Supplier confirmed there are no new threads on new steering wheels

Reactions: Lex

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hit the roadblock
Popped the airbag in 2 min. Really easy...BUT the bolt will not budge !
Super tight. Tried 1/2 rachet and also extension bar and no luck !!

Without good impact wrench this seems like 2 people operation so i can get good leverage while someone is holding the steering wheel. Loctite is doing its job !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201205-101418_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-101418_Gallery.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited: