Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The King is dead. Long live the King! RIP Commodore :-(

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't think anybody should be surprised by this development; the German-made Commodore has been a flop with Australians since it landed, many describing it as a "squashed-roof Corolla" and overshadowed by cheaper, better-specified Euro rigs like the VWs and Audis.
That’s actually incorrect. Any VW that’s anywhere near the size of a ZB is a huge amount more expensive, Audi considerably more so.
ZB is one of the, if not the, best car(s) in it’s class.
People just won’t buy one.
It’s basically the same deal with the nearly-as-good Mondeo.
They’re not as overpriced, underperforming, unattractive or thirsty as an SUV - so they’re not as popular.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why? My 1971 Rover 3500 (P6B) had its lead-acid battery in the boot, where it aided front/rear weight distribution, and because it was cooler being away from engine heat, it lasted over 7 years. This at a time when most batteries were lucky to last 4 years. As far as I'm concerned, having the battery in the boot has great advantages, especially with the no-maintenance batteries we have today.
Back then the battery was just bolted into the side of the boot, no cover, venting was inside the boot. It was poorly done. Not having seen a modern vehicle with battery in the boot I can't really comment but I suspect these days it would have been done far better than the slap it in and run a long + cable to the engine bay, like they did with the old Capri. Where any acid dribbles ended up in the boot. They were cheap arse cars back in the day, that were built cheap nothing special that's for sure. Rover was prestige compared to a Capri. I'd say with the Rover it was probably done well.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Something Rover that was done well?!?!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
That’s actually incorrect. Any VW that’s anywhere near the size of a ZB is a huge amount more expensive, Audi considerably more so.
ZB is one of the, if not the, best car(s) in it’s class.
People just won’t buy one.
It’s basically the same deal with the nearly-as-good Mondeo.
They’re not as overpriced, underperforming, unattractive or thirsty as an SUV - so they’re not as popular.
I probably will, value for money. some are already at $20k

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yeah the closure of Aus manufacturing by Holden was the big kick in the guts for me and yeah I also felt far worse about the end of the VF. The last of the brilliant Aussie made Commies. 1,000%. There is still something final and permanent about this though. Even if only the perception. Holden as an Aussie icon has always meant more to me than any one model, or variant. Don't get me wrong, I love the cars! Commodore, Kingswood, Premier, Statesman, Special, Monaro, Torana, Gemini, Sandman and more all invoke positive memories. 48-215 to VF2. Aussie pride for 70+ years!!! But, to me the Lion has always been greater than the sum of its parts. Bigger than the cars, the name, the brand, and the people alone. To me, Holden has always been part of the Aussie DNA which I am vehemently proud of. An amalgam of ANZAC pride, Uluru, Victa and Vegemite. Part of me, my family, my Wife, my kids (and yes, they all drive Holdens). It's in my blood. The loss of the Commodore nameplate is another reminder that the Australia I hold so dear has changed for ever. Good in many ways, not so in others. But moving too rapidly for this old dinosaur.
Time I got the Motorsport out for a bit of redline therapy.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah the closure of Aus manufacturing by Holden was the big kick in the guts for me and yeah I also felt far worse about the end of the VF. The last of the brilliant Aussie made Commies. 1,000%. There is still something final and permanent about this though. Even if only the perception. Holden as an Aussie icon has always meant more to me than any one model, or variant. Don't get me wrong, I love the cars! Commodore, Kingswood, Premier, Statesman, Special, Monaro, Torana, Gemini, Sandman and more all invoke positive memories. 48-215 to VF2. Aussie pride for 70+ years!!! But, to me the Lion has always been greater than the sum of its parts. Bigger than the cars, the name, the brand, and the people alone. To me, Holden has always been part of the Aussie DNA which I am vehemently proud of. An amalgam of ANZAC pride, Uluru, Victa and Vegemite. Part of me, my family, my Wife, my kids (and yes, they all drive Holdens). It's in my blood. The loss of the Commodore nameplate is another reminder that the Australia I hold so dear has changed for ever. Good in many ways, not so in others. But moving too rapidly for this old dinosaur.
Time I got the Motorsport out for a bit of redline therapy.

Wait until Holden doesn't exist any more.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Rover was prestige compared to a Capri. I'd say with the Rover it was probably done well.

Yes, it was -- it had its own dedicated compartment with hard rubber cover.

Something Rover that was done well?!?!

Ah yes -- but don't forget I'm talking about the Rovers of the 1960s and '70s, not the modern stuff (although some models of the modern Rover 75 weren't all that bad...)

The P6 and P6B had one of the stiffest bodies around, and this coupled with the unique suspension gave a beautifully cushioned ride with no rattles or squeaks whatsoever. Hard cornering wasn't its forte but it could be driven rapidly when required (or desired!). Plus it won awards for its in-built safety, including a passenger safety cage. A colleague in the road accident investigation business investigated a head-on between a Rover P6 and a comparable Volvo. He said the occupants of the Rover were virtually unscathed, but the Volvo was a tangled mess, as were its occupants. All in all, that Rover remains one of my favourite cars. Ah, those were the days.