Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Leaks

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
Yesterday was at the wrkshop and the mech had my car on hoist and noticed the leak from the transmission tray, after removing the tray found that the transmission pump is on the way of going out and also found metal in the transmission oil and told the clutch was also no good ,and told me need to put a new clutch and the pump $1100 and also offered if i am already going for this should also get a whole recondition for $1600 all together, so what you guys recon , is the price ok,, its the guy in thomastown Sam Auto transmissions ..

Last edited:

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
common guys, need to know should i get a whole recondition at this price or is the price bit too high?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Well since its only 500$ MORE for a recon trans i would do it, piece of mind :) $1600 all together for a recon seems pretty good to me since second hand trans would be about $400 plus fitting.
Or just keep driving it till it dies but that could happen when you really need it like pulling out of a intersection.

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
My VYII Calais had a similar problem. Went in for a few drops of trans oil leaking out, was told it was from the bell housing and some seal needed to be replaced which required the transmission to basically be dropped from the car. Was also told apparantly there is some pump componant in there that is common to wear and chew out this seal blah blah blah..........anyway, they basically said while its out then you might as well do a rebuild which they apparantly did. So I got a new pump (upgraded to stop the seal chewing out again) some new clutch plates and something else, was $1200 drop in and pick up. They said they do a heap of them and at varying k's and they make the basic upgrade to each one. Its a V6 stock as a rock and had done 130,000ks with some towing at times, he said they had seen em as low as 60-80000ks. Im in a smallish town and they have a good reputation so I had to believe them, car has been awesome since and shifts way better, I didnt even notice before it but it was quite sluggish.

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
My VYII Calais had a similar problem. Went in for a few drops of trans oil leaking out, was told it was from the bell housing and some seal needed to be replaced which required the transmission to basically be dropped from the car. Was also told apparantly there is some pump componant in there that is common to wear and chew out this seal blah blah blah..........anyway, they basically said while its out then you might as well do a rebuild which they apparantly did. So I got a new pump (upgraded to stop the seal chewing out again) some new clutch plates and something else, was $1200 drop in and pick up. They said they do a heap of them and at varying k's and they make the basic upgrade to each one. Its a V6 stock as a rock and had done 130,000ks with some towing at times, he said they had seen em as low as 60-80000ks. Im in a smallish town and they have a good reputation so I had to believe them, car has been awesome since and shifts way better, I didnt even notice before it but it was quite sluggish.

thanks mate...
Then i will be going for the rebuid... the mech had already replaced the seal and since then there has been no leaks but the tranny is bit sluggish and is getting worse day by day.....