Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

under 100,000 and new engine needed

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
never heard of a Delphi lifter (AFM) go.

I had an L76 in last month with a collapsed AFM lifter - not common but you do get the occasional one.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
I can beat that! My 07 WM with the L98 6.0L, had a new engine at 500 km. Took delivery on a Friday with 20 Km returned to dealer the following Monday having driven 500 km with awful clatter and ticking sounds. 1 week later, a new engine was sourced from Adelaide and installed by dealer. Apparently it was the same problem a lot of these engines have with camshaft and valve lifters.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Interesting, are you certain it was MY9.5+ with the Delphi hi-lift vs Eatons?

Yep, was a very late 09 build. Like any part I guess you can get failures.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
I was recently speaking to Sam from Sams performance about the camshaft/lifter issues with the LS motors, like everything the motor is built to a price, the camshaft that GM use is of low quality and Sam believes it is a big reason behind the all to common lifter and camshaft issues. Just like the pistons that are used have a large amount of expansion when they heat up which causes the cold start piston slap. My motor has 90k on it and slaps pretty bad so im just going to bite the bullet and get sam to rebuild it for me using some quality forged pistons that can run much tighter tolerances and a camshaft that he recommends which eliminates all the lifter issues.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I was recently speaking to Sam from Sams performance about the camshaft/lifter issues with the LS motors, like everything the motor is built to a price, the camshaft that GM use is of low quality and Sam believes it is a big reason behind the all to common lifter and camshaft issues. Just like the pistons that are used have a large amount of expansion when they heat up which causes the cold start piston slap. My motor has 90k on it and slaps pretty bad so im just going to bite the bullet and get sam to rebuild it for me using some quality forged pistons that can run much tighter tolerances and a camshaft that he recommends which eliminates all the lifter issues.

Woohoo! Diving in!! Go the JE FSR 0.030" oversize taking it out to 370, giving you 13.2:1 to play with e85 and premium. Good cam should take you to 340rkw and bigger bore and higher cylinder pressure under e85 will boost that at least 15%. See you have the flex fuel tables in your car, more free torque, 20% better fuel economy. If it were me I'd replace lifters, custom cam but retain AFM (then good for another 100k km).

Ballpark cost and hours?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Woohoo! Diving in!! Go the JE FSR 0.030" oversize taking it out to 370, giving you 13.2:1 to play with e85 and premium. Good cam should take you to 340rkw and bigger bore and higher cylinder pressure under e85 will boost that at least 15%. See you have the flex fuel tables in your car, more free torque, 20% better fuel economy. If it were me I'd replace lifters, custom cam but retain AFM (then good for another 100k km).

Ballpark cost and hours?

Ballpark cost was 8.5k. 2 weeks off the road. Includes Diamond Forged pistons (Sam swears by them), shaved head, a small cam and new lifters. Ive just got to save up the cash then i will talk to them again and get into the details of what im actually going to do but i will likely go for what he recommends as he is arguably one of the better LS rebuilders in Australia. He recommended stroking it as he does a lot of 427's but i don't have that sort of cash lol

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Ballpark cost was 8.5k. 2 weeks off the road. Includes Diamond Forged pistons (Sam swears by them), shaved head, a small cam and new lifters. Ive just got to save up the cash then i will talk to them again and get into the details of what im actually going to do but i will likely go for what he recommends as he is arguably one of the better LS rebuilders in Australia. He recommended stroking it as he does a lot of 427's but i don't have that sort of cash lol

Mate I realise the shop is good and had a few friends go there too, one spent over $30,000 modding his HSV Tourer Black Edition through that shop. But I think it has relatively conservative approach and typical value for money / results. Sure the shop is experienced but I suppose the fine point is it is not an engine builder per sé, more tuners and installers for outsourced engineering. Each to their own, I prefer more cutting-edge experience with the new race technology and direct dialogue with engineers in the detail versus outsourced brands / what's worked in the past.

Yes the L77 responds well to a longer stroke but not with a small cam, crank and rods extra $2500, but while it's cracked and you are honing anyways you might as well take it out a bit to 370ci. I agree those pistons look ####ing amazing in the web video too. When the heads are off for overhaul consider LS3 valves and quality beehives. Then the pistons, bore and 0.040" off the heads will definitely bring it into hi-comp ethanol territory, I'd aim for 13:1. Cam, heads, compression should get a 370 well into the 340's at the rear, on e85 will boost cylinder pressures about 33% to add at least 15% performance on top of that, run better, and use 20% less (cheap) alcohol.

PS You can do better for a couple grand less :yarr:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There was a problem with a batch of LS3's that were fitted to MY11/MY12 HSV's, that had soft cam lobes...

Mexican cam quality I s'pose....