Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2008 strange issue with Air Con (Front Vents ON and Off)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Could be straight away.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Just contacted Holden Stealers for a HVAC Control Module and they want $410 for it possible without tax on it. I'm willing to pay up to $280 and that is outrageous but $410 frigging dollars for it and its made in China.
Maybe I'm unlucky as when I look to buy a Cheap VE I found 3 out of 4 to have the same problem like I have now when you turn the Fan on, or Air Condition on, the Air does not ALL the time come out of the front Vents although it selected to come out there, All other setting are fine but not the Face one.
Out of 10 times I start the car and select the air or Air Conditioner on my Face I only have a chance of getting the correct setting about 50/50.
I'm very surprise of not seeing more reports about this issue as originally seeing 3 out of 4 Cheap Ve's has the issue.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Have you got the part number for the one you what?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d get one from the wreckers

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you got the part number for the one you what?
No. Stupid me I had the Glove Box totally out + the side trim so you can see the Head unit + side trim for the Console on that side to do some wiring and I did see the HVAC Control Module and had the sticker with all the Part numbers and I forgot to write them Down. IDIOT!!!

I had a look at ebay for a series 1 Single ZONE and I found one that is only $50. Now It could have the same issue like mine or even worse. I will buy it today.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d get one from the wreckers
I will buy this one from ebay first. Lets see how lucky I am
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-...06-04-13-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13/401896439457

The funny thing with this issue is, when I wanted to buy a cheap ve I went to greys On Line behind the Brisbane Airport and I played with 4 VE there and two of them had the same issue as the VE that I bought elsewhere so there is the 3 out of 4 Ve's with the same issue that give you sometimes air on your face but works perfect on the windscreen or the foot level but yet I can see that very few have complained about this issue.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
A new Learning procedure

Tried this yesterday
1/ Lift the Bonnet
2/ Remove the Lid of the Fuse/relay box
3/ Find and Remove HVAC BATT fuse
4/ Remove that fuse for 10 seconds then put it back in
5/ Turn the Ignition on for 40 seconds
NO MORE INFO after this either start the car or turn the Ignition Off or other. I think when it come to learning for the car the instruction I think they have let a bit out, better still not enough info.

Now after this I tried the car just by turning the ignition on about 5 times and the face worked. I then turned the Ignition on again and worked again but this time I started the car and it worked.
Sometime the cheap VE does have air on your face but as soon as you start the engine you lose the air on your face. but sometime you turn the ignition on and you have no air on your face but as soon as you start the engine you have air on your face.
Also now for the first time. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it on I now allow the system to do a full check and when its complete I start the Car. Before I put the key in start the car immediately without the car checking anything.
I'm willing to try any combination to see if something helps.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just more info regarding my VE Anniversity the Front Face vents failing 1 out of 8 times./
If you read AutoInstruct site https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...dore/replacing-air-conditioner-actuator-hvac/
you will read this:
Common symptoms Found in AutoInstruct
Vents stuck in a certain mode such as feet, face or demister.

WHAT ? We have 3 position not 2 (face and Feet)
So the FACE and Feet actuator has another function and that is a Demister position on the Windscreen so that 3 position and you wonder why it forget where the positions are..
By This my You cant remove the Arm of the Actuator 12 and lock it in the Face position because when it rains you need the windscreen to work, Gruuuuuu, (because actuator 12 control the FACE and the FEET but also controls the WIND SCREEN DEMISTER).
If you look at the Bottom diagram and find Actuator 12 you will see 2X Face Vents but just behind them you will possible 2 Wind Screen Vents not unless they are for the FOOT but I done think so because the screen is not far from them and the foot is down and a long way away.

upload_2020-1-3_15-6-20.png

(1) TX Valve Retaining Screws
(2) TX Valve Upper Retaining Plastic Retaining Cover
(3) TX Valve Insulator
(4) TX Valve
(5) Sealing Washer
(6) Evaporator
(7) Sealing Washer
(8) TX Valve Pipe Pad Retaining Stud
(9) Pipe Core Pipe Locating Plate
(10) Heater Core
(11) Heater Pipe Pass Through Seal
(12) Face/Floor Actuator
(13) Actuator Levers
(14) Wiring Harness
(15) Actuator Levers
(16) Air Mix Actuator
(17) HVAC Control Module
(18) Blower Motor And Fan Assembly
(19) Recirculation Actuator
(20) Blower Motor Housing
(21) Defrost Actuator
(22) Defrost Linkage

With thanks for autoinstruct

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I have a similar issue on my MY 12 VE Series 2. I find that the face vents do not always work on start up. To resolve I just make sure that when I turn off the car the air is set to blow at my feet. When I turn the car back on, I then cycle the air to blow at my face and this works as expected. I feel that it's a HVAC issue rather than actuator as it forgets where the vents are pointing.

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I also turn the engine straight on, if that makes sense, and dont leave it in electronic on/accessory mode as this confuses it even more.