Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais V - Custom Exhaust Setup

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Lumina, 2010 Calais V
Is there any way to accidentally get the wrong one? If so, i'll probably do that. I seem to always end up buying the wrong part, haha.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The OTR intake and tune will really add power and economy? I've always been confused about that. I've seen so many contrasting opinions regarding the effects of different exhaust systems, seems to be an everlasting dichotomy. Anybody happen to know the processes by which these effects take place?

Yes mate simple answer is that there is a good air fuel ratio for power and economy the factory uses for scientific and compliance reasons. Same with fuel injection timing and spark.
So to a degree stock tune is brilliant in covering [sensible] bases but not calibrated to produce radical results like hypermiling (at the expense of emissions) or 1/4 miling (at the expense of emissions and engine protection). That requires full custom tune below.
Typical $500 “performance tune” is mainly about resetting the triggers that command performance mode, raising the rev limiter and extending tables to meet that operational range.
Having intake air closer to ideal most of the time means ignition timing can be advanced for longer with a margin of safety. Hence CAI is a good thing.
Most people judge a vehicle performance by peak hp at top revs, little else. Hence most talked about mods are for increasing volumetric flow, for with higher rpm means a minor change in exhaust header design and dimension carries a benefit. Most people ask which pipes gets most peak power (not the right question) and bolt-on a fire hose to a garden tap! These pipes are hardly ever tuned to the engine rather the out of range warning light for proper cat operation is simply turned off. That is not a tune, it’s a cheap fix.
Together with raising the rev limiter there’s disabling torque management, and entering power enrichment (think Tesla insane mode built into the ecu) early as possible.
But all this is not really tuning the car precisely in a real sense to the new components, that is done with what’s called a custom VVE tune on a dynomometer. That takes at least a day, maybe a week or so to do correctly.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Is there any way to accidentally get the wrong one? If so, i'll probably do that. I seem to always end up buying the wrong part, haha.
heres two exhaust you could look at

Screenshot_20180109-233822.png

and also
Screenshot_20180110-200834.png

which is a wreck near brisbane that has a full difilippo exhuast im sure for a good price for something second hand

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Lumina, 2010 Calais V
Wow... There's a lot of detail there to look into, haha.

Thanks heaps for your responses, guys. This will really help me pick something.

On a slightly related note, anybody heard anything good/bad about a place in Brisbane called "Rob Bliss Exhausts"? I've gone there a couple times to get cats checked and some advice on my VZ, and they seemed pretty awesome, i thought i might use them for the Calais.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
As above don’t settle for a x force exhaust system... and that’s coming from someone who has one!! Lol

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
On a slightly related note, anybody heard anything good/bad about a place in Brisbane called "Rob Bliss Exhausts"? I've gone there a couple times to get cats checked and some advice on my VZ, and they seemed pretty awesome, i thought i might use them for the Calais.

Yes mate Rob and Aaron top work, get most of my custom stuff done by them.

As above don’t settle for a x force exhaust system... and that’s coming from someone who has one!! Lol

Haha yeah you have to actually have own the Force to really know how shitty they are! Is like an evil foil for newb players, cheap as China, but yeah loud and it works (it's a fricken steel pipe FFS).
Mine lasted 18 months meantime had to reconstruct harmonics with a squid-like set of Helmholtz pipes to orchestrate the drone oota theym fast disintegrating bagpipes!

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Mine is stainless so should hopefully last longer than that lol but yea the drone at 2000 rpm is nasty that may be also due to the fact my SS doesn’t have any cats (I’m in nz)
Yes mate Rob and Aaron top work, get most of my custom stuff done by them.

Haha yeah you have to actually have own the Force to really know how shitty they are! Is like an evil foil for newb players, cheap as China, but yeah loud and it works (it's a fricken steel pipe FFS).
Mine lasted 18 months meantime had to reconstruct harmonics with a squid-like set of Helmholtz pipes to orchestrate the drone oota theym fast disintegrating bagpipes!