Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Sportwagon + KPM Exhaust Drone

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
KPM don't have the "no drone" tag on their exhausts for afm cars. The best course of action would be to disable the afm crap and enjoy the spoils. :)

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
KPM don't have the "no drone" tag on their exhausts for afm cars. The best course of action would be to disable the afm crap and enjoy the spoils. :)

I personally do not like to deal with roadway. A few years ago they werevery popular. They tried to charge $600 for factory rear ve ss mufflers (that had come off a car). KPM have made a catback exhaust for AFM cars. I would give KPM a call and discuss it with them before going back.

It might also be you have the wrong one fitted?.

unitdiplomacy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 CalaisV Sportwagon V8 Auto
I personally do not like to deal with roadway. A few years ago they werevery popular. They tried to charge $600 for factory rear ve ss mufflers (that had come off a car). KPM have made a catback exhaust for AFM cars. I would give KPM a call and discuss it with them before going back.

It might also be you have the wrong one fitted?.

Thanks HEXEM, ill give KPM a call and find out

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
some shots of the exhaust....
IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

Nice, but get rid of chain bolt things on tow bar :). Either put them on the trailer, or pop them in the glovebox or something... they look silly just hanging there without a towbar (and whats the bet some little prick will take them).

unitdiplomacy

Reaction score
Members Ride
A sound file will help, Mine has AFM too and a few exhaust shops told me that they'd install flexible tubing to reduce cabin noise, another exhaust shop said that getting 1 5/8" headers might also reduce drone from the AFM, but unfortunately they couldn't guarantee that there would be no drone when the AFM kicks in. You could just flip the gear leaver into manual mode because it doesn't drop to 4 cyl when manual shift is selected.

Well we went for a drive to sydney on the weekend. and the drone was starting to get to me when in 4 Cyl mode, i did try shifting to 6th manaully, however i did notice if you shift to 5th and leave it for about 30 seconds then shift to 6th and leave it in Manual mode the AFM does not kick in. So i left it in 6th and the drone was not present anymore, so i am going to get the AFM deactivated when i get my VCM OTR and tune.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
i am going to get the AFM deactivated when i get my VCM OTR and tune.

In almost all cases a good OTR and tune will not only make the car drive smoother (and a little more killerwasps) they are achieving better fuel ecconomy on long trips than cars running in AFM mode. But for the average car owner (who doesnt want to mod their car) AFM is still an improvement (fuel usage wise).

Good you have been able to work out a solution. Who will be doing the VCM install and tune?

Cheers

unitdiplomacy

Reaction score
Members Ride
In almost all cases a good OTR and tune will not only make the car drive smoother (and a little more killerwasps) they are achieving better fuel ecconomy on long trips than cars running in AFM mode. But for the average car owner (who doesnt want to mod their car) AFM is still an improvement (fuel usage wise).

Good you have been able to work out a solution. Who will be doing the VCM install and tune?
Cheers

Yeah it would be great to pick up some extra Power and without losing economy. Im not going to be too fussed in the long run if im only losing 1L/100 by deactivating the AFM, Im thinking about ordering the OTR and fitting myself, then taking it to either Jakes or Gentech to get it tuned.

unitdiplomacy

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you're taking it in for the tune, you may as well get them to supply and fit the VCM OTR as well. You can often score a discount if you bundle things together.

Thanks mate, ill give them a buzz and see what they can do for me. Not sure what sort of power i can expect from the upgrades. But hopefully it will be a bit smoother, and pull a bit harder.