Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv ute running rough, misfire flat spots

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes, cuts KR so maybe smooth out your flatspot (in your engine).

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV Redline ute 6.0 M6
As the OP said this is an L77 flex-fuel car so the stock pump should be fine, from memory they even have an E85 badge on the back from factory, so they'd have a higher flow pump than older models. Also if it was the fuel pump I doubt it would only have problems at idle, when there is the least load on the pump.

I have a similar issue with my L98, it shakes at idle and has a slight miss, only when hot, mine is stock apart from the exhaust and K&N filter at the moment. Lots of varied opinions as to what it could be. Some say coils, some say leads (connections seem fine), some say plugs (car has only done 40,000 so I doubt it), and one suggested oil from the K&N may have gotten onto the MAF sensor, which does kind of make sense, but surely it would clear itself away by now (problem has been occurring for over 6 months), and surely it wouldn't be intermittent.

Anyway will be watching this thread with interest!

Sounds like we have the same issue.. I'm changing the left bank of coils along with the ignition module to see. If it's better.. I'm going to change the plugs to colder ones as mentioned.. I'll update my findings... Just waiting to finish this tank of 98 off then I'm trying uniteds e85.

I've also contacted caltex and will be sending them the report from Holden's. As they have quoted me this:

Caltex E-Flex (E85) formulation meets E85 Fuel Quality Standard<http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/standards/ethanol-e85.html#standard> volatility parameters for both summer and winter. Depending on the location, and to minimise the chances of cold-start or vapour lock, Caltex E-Flex can have between 72 - 74% ethanol content. We are not currently planning to increase the ethanol content in E-Flex.

Please note that according to the E85 Fuel Quality Standard, the ethanol content can vary between 70 - 85%. Summer or winter seasonal classes are not mandated; instead, the Standard set parameters and limits to ensure the fuel is fit for purpose, and let the industry to determine seasonal supply and vapour pressure of E85. Some of the advantages of this approach, cited by Government, include:

* blends can be tailored to local conditions which may vary from the state average on which a mandatory supply is based

* there are no costs associated with unsold fuel at the end of the winter season

* current industry fuel distribution networks, which are based on terminal locations rather than geographic or state borders, may still be used

* no costs of regulation

Our fuel also goes through very strict quality control before its distributed to market. If it does not meet specifications, it will not be released.

Please send through any supporting documentation (fuel analysis) that this mix is 62% and Caltex will investigate accordingly.

Kind Regards

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Your car is the same age as mine and I have driven 140+k, I doubt it is the coils. I would just replace the plugs first of all.

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
I'll be interested to see how the colder plugs affect it, I actually had a lead pop off last night which made it shake far worse and barely idle at all, so I'm hoping that a new set of leads might make a difference to it.

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll be interested to see how the colder plugs affect it, I actually had a lead pop off last night which made it shake far worse and barely idle at all, so I'm hoping that a new set of leads might make a difference to it.

Hopefully there not expensive. One ve lead. Acdelco is $75 and one coil is $145 from holden. A set genuine coils from the us is around about
$300 for a set of 8 genuine acdelco.

I can't seem to source the Leads , I think they are the same as the ls7 corvette motor. Would be great to source them some how..

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Hopefully there not expensive. One ve lead. Acdelco is $75 and one coil is $145 from holden. A set genuine coils from the us is around about
$300 for a set of 8 genuine acdelco.

I can't seem to source the Leads , I think they are the same as the ls7 corvette motor. Would be great to source them some how..

Wait til PIR4TE comes back from his latest mutiny training course hehe...he will almost certainly be able to help you mate.

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your car is the same age as mine and I have driven 140+k, I doubt it is the coils. I would just replace the plugs first of all.

Just replace the plugs, little to early to tell the difference. It's pretty hot ATM. The first difference is it idles at 600 where as before with the iridium a 700 or 750.. ?

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whoa! Why so high?! Mine idles at 540

Ha ha, there's a little more performance with this plug. I don't know if it's the cooler plug or thicker electrode.. Still idles a little rough. Hanging out to try e85 from united fuel.