Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 MY10 SIDI chip tuning

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
if you drive it like a grandma on the free way it can go very very low.

I'm not taking the piss, seriously, but how do you drive like a grandma on the freeway? Do you mean sitting below the speed limit?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I'm not taking the piss, seriously, but how do you drive like a grandma on the freeway? Do you mean sitting below the speed limit?

to me, instead of your usual 100km/h you would do 80-90km, clutch in going down every hill, sit behind trucks etc

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
to me, instead of your usual 100km/h you would do 80-90km, clutch in going down every hill, sit behind trucks etc

You're not serious are you? Driving below the speed limit? You just become a hazard on the road! If fuel consumption is that much of a concern, buy a pushbike IMO. :rofl:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Driving like a grandma would infer that he doesn't put his boot into it every time a car pulls up along side.....unlike a lot of P platers.....

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
You're not serious are you? Driving below the speed limit? You just become a hazard on the road! If fuel consumption is that much of a concern, buy a pushbike IMO. :rofl:

Mate plenty of trucks go that speed on the freeway/highway, not that dangerous at all. I do it sometimes on my big trips.

928S

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
By VTSS350
So have you driven the 3.6L SIDI??

210kw and there is more to be made as the motor is detuned to allow more power to be made in the future.

On the rode it drives completly differently to any of the alloytec motors. It really gets up and moves. It feels very similar to my VX SS when I first got it.

I would have to agree, they always leave more on the table that will not be too hard to obtain. SIDI technology is not an economy measure per say but an all round improvement. It requires more expensive parts to achieve such high fuel pressures and very precise metering of the fuel both in volume and timing as the window of injection time is reduced quite considerably.

It is expensive in terms of R&D time also, GM racing when it changed to DI on the LeMans Corvette ZO6 7.0 litre engine decided to use Bosch's system instead of developing their own due to the cost, easier to buy someone else's system when it is low volume.

As to making more power with any engine there is rules. Get more cylinder pressure with the correct air fuel ratio and light it at the right time you will make more power. To get more cylinder pressure you need to get more air speed. More airspeed doesn't mean bigger runners, it means generally straighter runners, optimising the air speed is the other criteria, some vehicles will need better torque, this may be because they are just street cars and that is where the engine will be used the most.

Higher lift cams with quick acting ramps, that is quick opening and slightly slower closing for durability reasons, if you achieve higher airflow rates through the heads and manifolds without dropping the airspeed you will probably do well.

Are we able to remap the computer when mods are done? Is that expensive option? I don't like remapped chips, I have my reasons there. Can the computer be completely replaced or does it run too many things that it is not practical? I would never go the MAFLESS tune route.

Anyway back to the 3.0 litre head, IMHO will be due to cost issues, less parts to make, store and assemble, it is way the manufacturers are going this way, it makes them more money and puts cars sometimes off the road quicker. I can tell a few stories about non serviceable Porsche gearboxes, engines in Boxters Carrera's etc, easier to sell a $20K box that sell a snycro, you wont fill the parts warehouse with single assemblies as quick as individual parts.

I am hopefully buying our car before this happens to Holden too. As to an intro, my name is Greg, I am in Sydney and I will hopefully have our newish WM Statesman, Black on Black, I saw some such here on the WMs but is this forum not for stretched Commodores?

Greg

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
Hmm, I would also like to know more info on SV6 SIDI performance mods. Got mine last Decembe. Ended up tinting the windows and lowering it as it sits too high stock... love the way it sounds and drives, got a bit of grunt in it (big change from having a 4 cyl before this :) ), but would love to get a few more kw out of it with a nice deep rumble (not too loud though). I love it around 70KPH mark, it jumps nicely when you floor it.. took out a subaru liberty and a supra within first few days... didn't initiate it though. :)
There is a lot of conflicting advice though, i read here and there that a lot of people suggest superchargers for these motors, but there isn't one available for the SIDI, neither is tuning., and exhaust... well noone is supplying KW comparisson....they are all claiming "it sounds great, and a lot more kw".... no results though....
So if anyone definately KNOWS something... let me know.

I have read a few forums before I decided to join this one due to the quality of feedback.
So looking forward to reading your advice.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
There is a lot of conflicting advice though, i read here and there that a lot of people suggest superchargers for these motors, but there isn't one available for the SIDI, neither is tuning., and exhaust...

Supercharging one of these is possible, but doubt it worth it, high compression on these motors suck for forced induction.

Exhaust, headers, cats, mace spacers, cpr6 will all work on your car. Thats a start, should note cpr6 and spacers dont work in conjunction.

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
so how much gain should you expect from replacing the stock exhaust system with an aftermarket performance one?