Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF annoying window/door rattle

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
This makes sense, as after I go through the car wash and everything is wet and lubed, the annoying creaking noise dissappears until it dries out. I tired various lubricants before on the seals with minor improvement but no complete solution. I"ll try the silicone lubricant next. The tape around the door strikers cured a different noise for me...more of a knock. There is one more rattle coming from within the door panel, just above the speaker...when you press on the door trim here is dissappears so that will be coming off soon.

Then there is the new rattle coming from inside the roof liner behind the sunroof....
Given I'm always looking for the most economical solution, I used Durex Silicone lube from Coles on clearance at $2 for each tube. Totally sick of the creaking door.
It stated that it was safe for condoms, thus I figured it would be OK on door rubbers. Silicon aerosol didnt work very well at all.
2 weeks so far and door creaking gone immediately after application. I found a little goes a long way so didn't have to use much or it starts dripping into the car. So will keep the rest for re-application to the door. My wife wondered what I was up to in the driveway
Also may have to find a use for the second tube I bought.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...I used Durex Silicone lube ... safe for condoms... My wife wondered what I was up to in the driveway...
What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business o_O

Last edited:

KiwiKud

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF II Motorsport Edition
My MSE has just started creaking (after only 4000k), so I think I'll head down to Coles at lunchtime!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I could offer a suggestion if you don't mind feeling a bit of a ********.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Given I'm always looking for the most economical solution, I used Durex Silicone lube from Coles on clearance at $2 for each tube. Totally sick of the creaking door.
It stated that it was safe for condoms, thus I figured it would be OK on door rubbers. Silicon aerosol didnt work very well at all.
2 weeks so far and door creaking gone immediately after application. I found a little goes a long way so didn't have to use much or it starts dripping into the car. So will keep the rest for re-application to the door. My wife wondered what I was up to in the driveway
2 months now and no creaking from the door. I reckon I've found an effective and economical solution here.
More than once in my life I've been pleased to have Durex ready to go.

KiwiKud

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF II Motorsport Edition
Well lubing my sunroof and door seals didn't get rid of my creaking, mine seems to be coming from under the roof lining just behind the windscreen

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

Stefan Nowak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Calais V Sportwagon
Had this issue, whenever I would go over a bump. I first tried silicon lube spray (WD40), it didn't really do anything.

Today, I tried silicon grease (Herschell) from Super Cheap.. so far so good!

Shall report back after a week.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Had this issue, whenever I would go over a bump. I first tried silicon lube spray (WD40), it didn't really do anything.

Today, I tried silicon grease (Herschell) from Super Cheap.. so far so good!

Shall report back after a week.
Lube it up with Durex Silicone Stef.
3 months with no creaking, works for me.