Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS V - lost its growl!

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Both the 6.0L and 6.2L engines will degrade performance if they detect knocking in the engine. This will almost definitely happen if you run 91. Even E10 is better than 91 (usually 94). 95 at an absolute minimum for these engines. If you want performance, go with 98 in the LS3 6.2 and even better if you can get it is go E85 (107 octane) on the L77 6.0.
Another factor is Intake Air Temperature. The hotter the air going into the engine, the more timing advance that is taken out, even if knock is not detected. This is why cold air intakes work so well on these engines.

So in Summer running 91, the car will probably run crap.

Last edited:

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Ever 2 -3 years you need to add 30-50 rwkw. I am now at 479rwkw, thats nearly 800HP at the engine. Its fast but probably could go 550.

I drive my SSVR and although its a great car. Its just SO slow...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Assuming you're 50, does that mean by the time you're 100, you'd be driving around in something between 500-1250 rwkw vehicle :p:cool:

If so, periodically toot twice and we'll all get off the road :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I'm in Brisbane at the moment as well, you guys should come for a spin and see what you're missing! Good servos at Bald Hills, Virginia, Caboolture, Bli Bli, Coolum, Noosa, Gunalda, Hervey Bay, Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville. West there is Miles, Dalby, Toowoomba, Booval, Forestdale, Springfield, Browns Plains, Forestdale, Springfield, Browns Plains. South there is Mackenzie, Crestmead, Logan, Beenleigh, Upper Coomera, Arundel, Miramac. Sadly United South Tweed closed last weekend so northern NSW is an alcohol free zone 'til Coffs.
Otherwise availability within touring range from Brisbane is good, here's a practical and safe total range you can achieve with planned fuel stops.
North Undiluted: Mission Beach 50% Diluted: Port Douglas
West Undiluted: Mitchell 50% Diluted: Charleville
South West Undiluted: Goondawindi / Glen Innes 50% Diluted: St George / Narrabri / Tamworth *being frugal can make it to United Maitland via Thunderbolts
South -> Pacific Undiluted: Ulladulla 50% Diluted: Eden
South -> Hume Undiluted: Jindabyne / Adaminaby 50% Diluted: Lakes Entrance / Wangaratta
Above assumes 400km/tank country spirited driving, topping up with petrol when tank is halfway will get you at least 200km further than the above range before zero benefits of flex fuel. Practically the alcohol-free regions to consider are Outback QLD NSW and VIC, FNQ and East Gippsland.
Bundaberg United canned its E85 probably 18 months ago. Is there another bowser I've missed? I must say I like Gunalda. Looks like its bowser has been pumping E85 from birth, unlike the few others I've used.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
lso
I noticed the same thing on mine in the last couple weeks
This coincided with 20 000 service by Holden and installing k&n panel air filter in stock airbox
For those who saw my previous posts...the cold startup rattling noise is all but gone...
Not noticable at all....huge difference to the videos i posted previously..
The car literally feels like it has different tune...
Crackle and pops are much less audible and the car just feels a bit lazier than usual...
Odd...
Very odd..
Good to hear Ron, combined with your recent health concerns, and the brake hassles a while ago all sorted, you'd probably feeling on top of the world right now. I guess there'll be no Mazda 6 in the driveway for sometime yet!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
^ Assuming your 50, does that mean by the time you're 100, you'd be driving around in something between 500-1250 rwkw vehicle :p:cool:

If so, periodically toot twice and we'll all get off the road :rolleyes:

if hes 100 and driving a 500-1250 rwkw vehicle i bet he's glad he's wearing incontinence nappies :oops::oops::oops:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
lso

Good to hear Ron, combined with your recent health concerns, and the brake hassles a while ago all sorted, you'd probably feeling on top of the world right now. I guess there'll be no Mazda 6 in the driveway for sometime yet!

LOL
NO Mazda 6 ...
Been flogging my SS hard last couple weeks. Love it :)

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Bundaberg United canned its E85 probably 18 months ago. Is there another bowser I've missed? I must say I like Gunalda. Looks like its bowser has been pumping E85 from birth, unlike the few others I've used.
Weird, looks like it is still pumping according to PetrolSpy
7E79E9EC-F75B-49B7-A748-DF6E76F8070C.png

Also have you seen the Puma at Curra?
009B4E81-7A75-4F2C-BC83-DEFF862DBE22.png

Last edited: