Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS V - lost its growl!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
E85 is not cost effective or adds much power to an unopened stock N/A engine.

Its GOLD for forced induction.
Not all about power, unless you’re racing really. Even then it makes good sense to use ethanol vs petrol as a racing fuel. Hence why all the V8 Supercars (NA with lower compression than a street V8) run e85.
Torque, efficiency and consumption vs price (economy) and emissions and clean running are important too.

Last edited:

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
If you do some research the V8 supercars were made to use E85, they hated it, all cars actually lost power.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/ethanol-more-or-less-power-20131009-2v7gm.html

E85 just isnt cost effective..

https://www.motoring.com.au/the-pros-and-cons-of-ethanol-20281/
Power isn’t everything in racing, by a long shot. Nor is it hardly even relevant 95% of the time on the street.
Petrol is filthy, disgusting, deadly inefficient crap that is being phased out.
Not good for humans or other living beings, nor performance nor global distribution of wealth.
Just stupid not to use alternative energy. Having been trackside every year for almost a decade as a spectator I can attest first hand why the switch to e85 in Supercar racing. Power is of course highly regulated in Series and formula racing so the point about tuning max power is moot.
Anyways the argument for power potential using different fuels in an engine with a 10:1 CR would need to go in favour of TNT or nitro, but they too are deadly and inefficient for racing.

Regarding high ethanol blends and consumption, firstly the fuel costs at least 20¢ less than crappy 95 petrol, sometimes as low as half price. So the economic argument stops there really.
However there is a lot more to it, specifically the early flex fuel tunes and driving to the attributes of increased torque vs snicking down a cog.
Likely the stock flex tune is less than ideal in that article, and driven exactly like it was on petrol.
Actual consumption difference is between 10%-20% on a factory flex fuel car, my car is tuned for ethanol and gets better consumption than petrol.
So yeah, highly cost effective. I drive 60k km a year, if there was a way to save thousands and get more performance, stay legal, run cool and not kill the tree fairies then I’d consider switching fuel. But nah, e85 makes good sense.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Actual consumption difference is between 10%-20% on a factory flex fuel car, my car is tuned for ethanol and gets better consumption than petrol.
So yeah, highly cost effective.

Thats is impossible given the joules (BTU) and Stoichiometric air to fuel ratio of E85.

But if your using flex fuel E10 , then maybe..

So your talking BS , just like the old days and 2 user name changes from being BANNED...

HB.SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Both the 6.0L and 6.2L engines will degrade performance if they detect knocking in the engine. This will almost definitely happen if you run 91. Even E10 is better than 91 (usually 94). 95 at an absolute minimum for these engines. If you want performance, go with 98 in the LS3 6.2 and even better if you can get it is go E85 (107 octane) on the L77 6.0.
Another factor is Intake Air Temperature. The hotter the air going into the engine, the more timing advance that is taken out, even if knock is not detected. This is why cold air intakes work so well on these engines.

So in Summer running 91, the car will probably run crap.

So can a stock ls3 run E85 or does it need to be tuned on it first. I have E85 around the corner from my house but always been under the impression a tune is needed before you can use it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thats is impossible given the joules (BTU) and Stoichiometric air to fuel ratio of E85.

But if your using flex fuel E10 , then maybe..

So your talking BS , just like the old days and 2 user name changes from being BANNED...
What? His setup is unique and has a much better volumetric efficiency than a standard engine, which he appears to be comparing to.

Your statement relies on all else being equal with the exception of fuel type.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
I agree with some of the replies that you just get used to the sound and power. It's the same deal on motorbikes, I remember jumping on after getting my Ls thinking "fk me this is quick" then looking down and only doing 60ks lol.

If you have a chance mate, chuck up a quick video on youtube & post the link here and let's have a listen.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
So can a stock ls3 run E85 or does it need to be tuned on it first. I have E85 around the corner from my house but always been under the impression a tune is needed before you can use it.
Holden removed the Flex-fuel sensors when they went with the LS3, so the engine can not adjust its tune for E85. To get the best out of E85, you will need to get the LS3 re-tuned, but then it will not run on ULP98 any more. The earlier L77 6.0L can run E85 without needing a re-tune as the engine will automatically adjust for the ethanol content using a flex-fuel sensor.

Last edited: