Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf locked steering while driving.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
So another update guys, Holden have agreed to cover 100 percent of all my costs which is relieving to say the least ! I’d like to thank @lobbie specially for both referring me to that previous forum and @Skylarking giving me the confidence to plea my case. Holden need to recall all this defected VFs as soon as possible as this vehicles don’t meet safety regulations and someone is going to lose a family member because of the lack of action on behalf of Holden. Also @Banjo79 and @VS 5.0 thank you for your support.

Thanks Georges for updating your experiences, not surprised the dealer played dumb initially. My local dealer admitted he had heard of this, after I reminded him that there have been manycars with same problem.
For interest and completeness, what was the date of manufacture and what km had you done? I am of the opinion that my S1 cars will probably have this problem before too long. Skylarking refers to a post of mine when I have had the steering lock warning twice in 3 years, but no failed steering (yet).

Georges dagher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF storm
Thanks Georges for updating your experiences, not surprised the dealer played dumb initially. My local dealer admitted he had heard of this, after I reminded him that there have been manycars with same problem.
For interest and completeness, what was the date of manufacture and what km had you done? I am of the opinion that my S1 cars will probably have this problem before too long. Skylarking refers to a post of mine when I have had the steering lock warning twice in 3 years, but no failed steering (yet).
The date of manufacture for my car was January 2014, and the car has 65 thousand kms. I would highly recommend taking the car in to Holden if the error has come up before as you don’t want the steering to fail while you’re going around a curve at high speeds. You Should probably call holden customer care before hand and explain your issue and ask for a reference number before going into your local Holden centre so you don’t have to deal with any of there Bs.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
So another update guys, Holden have agreed to cover 100 percent of all my costs which is relieving to say the least ! I’d like to thank @lobbie specially for both referring me to that previous forum and @Skylarking giving me the confidence to plea my case. Holden need to recall all this defected VFs as soon as possible as this vehicles don’t meet safety regulations and someone is going to lose a family member because of the lack of action on behalf of Holden. Also @Banjo79 and @VS 5.0 thank you for your support.
Cheers mate glad to help.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
The date of manufacture for my car was January 2014, and the car has 65 thousand kms. I would highly recommend taking the car in to Holden if the error has come up before as you don’t want the steering to fail while you’re going around a curve at high speeds. You Should probably call holden customer care before hand and explain your issue and ask for a reference number before going into your local Holden centre so you don’t have to deal with any of there Bs.

Great, thanks Georges - detail is always helpful. You are quite correct in regard to HCC. Waiting for Holden Care to call back in regard to my steering fault - it has only been 6 weeeks or so now.....can't really be bothered chasing them up. Not much joy with them in the past either. No wonder they have such little consumer confidence, reflected in sales, despite having had a decent product in the past. They don't seem to realise that they are a marketing company, no longer a manufacturer in Australia.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Great, thanks Georges - detail is always helpful. You are quite correct in regard to HCC. Waiting for Holden Care to call back in regard to my steering fault - it has only been 6 weeeks or so now.....can't really be bothered chasing them up. Not much joy with them in the past either. No wonder they have such little consumer confidence, reflected in sales, despite having had a decent product in the past. They don't seem to realise that they are a marketing company, no longer a manufacturer in Australia.
I started a Twitter account. Just to communicate with HCC. I find them very responsive via Twitter. Worth a try...

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
I started a Twitter account. Just to communicate with HCC. I find them very responsive via Twitter. Worth a try...

Yes thanks - same as I have found that major retailers only seem to respond via facebook messenger these days.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Only too glad to help. Hope you can get back to enjoying your car post fix ;)

You may want to consider reporting this steering power assistance failure to ACCC and /or DOTSRS as it should really have been handled as a recall long ago thus removing this dangerous situation from our roads. The more reports the authorities get, the more difficult it is for them not to take action and force a mandatory recall.

I’ve made previous posts with links to ACCC and DOTARS where you can report vehicle safety matters. Doing so may result in a recall and thus help some unfortunate sole that may loose their life from such an failure occurring at an unfortunate time.

I really can’t understand Holden attitude of not recalling their faulty vehicles while playing a statistical game with their customers lives. It’s criminal.

PS: if you can, get the mechanic to take a picture of the new rack connector pins so we can see if they are gold plated :)

VFWizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
So update guys, took the car down to the Holden centre and spoke to the guy at the front Counter and explained to him what happened. Straight away he recognised the problem but said that they can’t do nothing for me as I’m out of warranty and that I would of haved to be charged for the fix. Quiet disappointed with this, i immediately called Holden customer care and spoke to a fella named nick who was super helpful, told me about a couple of the previous cases that have occurred regarding the power steering failure and that many cars were fixed “complimentary of Holden” and then ended up telling me that they’ll wait for the diagnosis from the service centre and then let me know if they are willing to cover the cost. Hung up the phone and started speaking again to the guy at the counter who was still pretty adamant that I will at least have to pay the Diagnosis fees which I guess I’ll cop if it means I can drive my car without being worried that the life of fellow family members, friends or my life are in danger. Fingers crossed good news coming my way on Thursday.

Thats a nice way for customer care to put it. They should repair free of charge. This should be a recall, but it wont happen until someone gets seriously hurt. How long years/kms out of warranty ? Here in SA under consumer laws, if it is just out of warranty they would have to replace it free of charge.