Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

WalshySSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSVR M6
G'day Guys, I've been stalking this forum for a little while and thought I'd join in. I have a 2017 Redline sedan with about 2600kms on it. I also have the windscreen rattle/squeak, which developed at about 1500kms. The noise is more noticeable in warmer weather so the issue may have been present from new but not noticed due to the cooler weather earlier in its life. I can replicate the noise by pushing the screen in or out at the top centre as others have said. I will get it back to Holden when I get the chance, but am concerned with some people saying they have had the screen cut out and rebounded yet the problem remains (albeit reduced). I would prefer not to have the screen cut out unless there's some confidence it will be fixed.
For those that had the silicone spray fix - did it solve the problem for long?
For those who had the screen re-bonded - was there a clear cause identified (ie a section not bonded as I think Redline 2017 had) and did it stop the noise?
Wonder whether those who had the windscreen reglued AND had the creaking return never got the silicon spray under the top seal. Maybe you need both? Remember the top seal is not glued down, so if you get the window reglued, it might fix the flexing issue but not necessarily the creaking issue. Just a thought.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Wonder whether those who had the windscreen reglued AND had the creaking return never got the silicon spray under the top seal. Maybe you need both? Remember the top seal is not glued down, so if you get the window reglued, it might fix the flexing issue but not necessarily the creaking issue. Just a thought.

The fault is the top rubber seal. A batch of these have an issue. I have been advised when the windscreen is re glued/replaced, a new seal is used so the problem should go away. I opted for the spray as I didn't want my screen taken out. I don't have any noise now except for the minor door noise when you go over uneven surface but that's hardly noticeable. Silicon spray should work is applied correctly.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
mine sounds like its getting worse. Going to book it in next week. Doing my head in. car is 12 months old and sound sleek my mums old Kingswood inside. Actually thats not fair, the Kingswood was pretty solid.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The fault is the top rubber seal. A batch of these have an issue. I have been advised when the windscreen is re glued/replaced, a new seal is used so the problem should go away. I opted for the spray as I didn't want my screen taken out. I don't have any noise now except for the minor door noise when you go over uneven surface but that's hardly noticeable. Silicon spray should work is applied correctly.
How does one apply it correctly? Do you need to lift the top rubber strip, so the liquid silicon goes under it?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
How does one apply it correctly? Do you need to lift the top rubber strip, so the liquid silicon goes under it?
Thats what I did. I used a plastic trim tool to lift the rubber seal, fed the tube on the top of the aerosol can of silicone spray and sprayed across the whole top edge of the seal. Let it sit for a couple of minutes then wiped the little bit of excess of the paint on the roof. Didnt wash the car for a week after to be sure it soaked in. I pressure wash my car every few weeks and gove that area plenty of water and not had the problem of noise any longer.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thats what I did. I used a plastic trim tool to lift the rubber seal, fed the tube on the top of the aerosol can of silicone spray and sprayed across the whole top edge of the seal. Let it sit for a couple of minutes then wiped the little bit of excess of the paint on the roof. Didnt wash the car for a week after to be sure it soaked in. I pressure wash my car every few weeks and gove that area plenty of water and not had the problem of noise any longer.
Cheers

vc213

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys, can you tell which dealers are fixing this issue with the creaking windscreen? I'd like to pass on their details to the local dealer in my area. I'm in country VIC and my local Holden dealer couldn't give a rats and I can't get to another dealer with travelling to SA. They just tell me that all cars flex and if they didn't flex, it would snap. Also tell me my Redline brakes squeel because they no longer have asbestos in brake pads.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Hey guys, can you tell which dealers are fixing this issue with the creaking windscreen? I'd like to pass on their details to the local dealer in my area. I'm in country VIC and my local Holden dealer couldn't give a rats and I can't get to another dealer with travelling to SA. They just tell me that all cars flex and if they didn't flex, it would snap. Also tell me my Redline brakes squeel because they no longer have asbestos in brake pads.
Nice service.

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan

Mine was fixed by Robina Holden on the Gold Coast. I know they had a number of other vehicles they were looking at with the same issue when I took mine in. Not in VIC but at least they should be able to make contact with this dealer to confirm the fix.

Although with dealer service like that I would be taking my business elsewhere.