Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF suspension in VE

AIDOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2
My ve ss has just reached 287000kms and being a 10 year old car now I know the suspension and bushings have had a hard life lol, I’m looking at doing all the bushes and getting new shocks to bring the suspension back up to spec but I’m curious about those who have done a vf suspension swap to get the benefits of the lighter aluminium parts that the ve didn’t have. I know the vf k frame and rear cradle can fit ve but can I use these vf parts on ve without swapping cradle and k frame?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
My ve ss has just reached 287000kms and being a 10 year old car now I know the suspension and bushings have had a hard life lol, I’m looking at doing all the bushes and getting new shocks to bring the suspension back up to spec but I’m curious about those who have done a vf suspension swap to get the benefits of the lighter aluminium parts that the ve didn’t have. I know the vf k frame and rear cradle can fit ve but can I use these vf parts on ve without swapping cradle and k frame?
VF uses larger diameter bolts to attach struts to the lower knuckles on the front end, so you'd need to use VF steering knuckles as well.
Rear struts should fit.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Springs are good to use. The struts they go into in the front are different

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Springs are good to use. The struts they go into in the front are different
I’m using VF FE3 springs in the front of my VE SSV fine using standard VE shocks. The rear VF FE3 springs don’t stay captive though as they are shorter than the VE FE2 springs.

I assume the VF FE3 setup must use a shorter shock or have a different designed top plate to hold the spring in.

SeanPagne

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 Saab 92x Aero
I’m in a similar situation with 220k km, and noticed how heavy the cast steel arms are while replacing the castor arms with ones with poly bushings fitted.
If I want to swap everything including uprights to aluminum ones, what other parts would need to be changed? I’ve also finally found a good setup with Eibach springs and Koni FSD not too long ago, would they still fit? What about the stock brakes?
Please keep us updated as I’d like to know what parts I’d need for the swap exactly, thanks!

AIDOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2
I’m in a similar situation with 220k km, and noticed how heavy the cast steel arms are while replacing the castor arms with ones with poly bushings fitted.
If I want to swap everything including uprights to aluminum ones, what other parts would need to be changed? I’ve also finally found a good setup with Eibach springs and Koni FSD not too long ago, would they still fit? What about the stock brakes?
Please keep us updated as I’d like to know what parts I’d need for the swap exactly, thanks!
The research I’ve done so far is you’ll need vf knuckles and all the aluminium parts and you’ll have use the vf rear abs sensors and rewire them to your harness plus vf shocks, I’m pretty sure you can do this upgrade without the vf cradle and k frame

SeanPagne

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 Saab 92x Aero
The research I’ve done so far is you’ll need vf knuckles and all the aluminium parts and you’ll have use the vf rear abs sensors and rewire them to your harness plus vf shocks, I’m pretty sure you can do this upgrade without the vf cradle and k frame
That sounds pretty straight forward. But from a quick look at my Koni shocks references apparently the rear shocks suits both VE and VF. The fronts struts would however not swap over, though doesn’t matter in my case because Konis are strut inserts on the front.
I’m getting conflicting info on the springs though, some say the stock springs swap over, and King springs (poor spring rates) are made to fit both gens, but
I’m using VF FE3 springs in the front of my VE SSV fine using standard VE shocks. The rear VF FE3 springs don’t stay captive though as they are shorter than the VE FE2 springs.

I assume the VF FE3 setup must use a shorter shock or have a different designed top plate to hold the spring in.

And Eibach makes two different sets of springs for VE and VF? I haven’t been able to find much info on the actual spring rates and free lengths of either of the stock springs, or aftermarket springs, which would’ve been really helpful.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That sounds pretty straight forward. But from a quick look at my Koni shocks references apparently the rear shocks suits both VE and VF. The fronts struts would however not swap over, though doesn’t matter in my case because Konis are strut inserts on the front.
I’m getting conflicting info on the springs though, some say the stock springs swap over, and King springs (poor spring rates) are made to fit both gens, but

And Eibach makes two different sets of springs for VE and VF? I haven’t been able to find much info on the actual spring rates and free lengths of either of the stock springs, or aftermarket springs, which would’ve been really helpful.
I’m guessing the VF uses a shorter shock in the rear to keep the FE3 spring captive? The KYB part finder says the part number is different for rear shocks between VE and VF.

IIRC when comparing the springs the FE2 springs had eight rounds and the FE3 springs only had seven.

The VE also has a shortened shock option for the rear on the KYB website but no shortened shock option for the VF, probably because the default is shortened shocks. .

Using a shortened shock with the FE3 rear spring wasn’t an option for me with the extra weight of the LPG tank. I had to go with heavier duty FE2 springs made for LPG/load carrying to bring the back end up.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I don't know eibach's spring rate, but they're most likely going to be a bit higher than stock if they lower the car an inch or two. In my experience, the FSD's were already overpowered by the stock SS springs. Shorter higher rate springs would have been plain ridiculous. I'd caution you against that combo (unless you would like to buy my Fsd's off me!). The Yellows are what you need if you really want Koni, especially if your lowering. They seem to be an excellent all-rounder. I know of at least one member on JC's that uses, or did use Fsd's with lowered springs. Maybe they could chime in and give their thoughts. They may completely disagree with me and I'll be able to sell my Koni's with a clear conscience.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I don't know eibach's spring rate, but they're most likely going to be a bit higher than stock if they lower the car an inch or two. In my experience, the FSD's were already overpowered by the stock SS springs. Shorter higher rate springs would have been plain ridiculous. I'd caution you against that combo (unless you would like to buy my Fsd's off me!). The Yellows are what you need if you really want Koni, especially if your lowering. They seem to be an excellent all-rounder. I know of at least one member on JC's that uses, or did use Fsd's with lowered springs. Maybe they could chime in and give their thoughts. They may completely disagree with me and I'll be able to sell my Koni's with a clear conscience.

I can recall a couple of members here not being impressed with the FSDs.

Just can't recall who they were. :rolleyes: