Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 rebuild

hsvpaulie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Looking for a bit of advice. Got a series 1 SV6. It’s got just under 150k on the clock and getting a bit tired from being driven pretty hard most of its life. Bought it brand new so I know the entire history of the car.
I think it’s time for a rebuild and thought it would be worth doing some minor upgrades while it apart. Thinking of upgrading the cam and tuning it along with an otr just to start with. Does anyone know how much that might set me back?

cheers in advance for the help

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Without sounding like a smart arse, why not sell the SV6 and add the money you would have spent on the engine build and mods to purchase a second hand Series 1 SS.

Last edited:

hsvpaulie

Reaction score
Without sounding like a smart arse, why not sell the SV6 and add the money you would have spent on the engine build and mods to purchase a second hand Series 1 SS.

The thought has crossed my mind many times or even just buying a newer V8 but then there are the ongoing extra rego costs of owning a V8 that need to be considered as well

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@hsvpaulie, if you want to stay with V6, why not look at the LF3 as installed within the 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport which pumps out 313kw & 583Nm... Probably a challenging project but would be interesting :p

Selling the V6 and buying a V8 may provide the extra oomph your looking for but if you like a challenge, an engine transplant may be something to consider. If you don’t like the LF3 consider a GM electric creat engine (coming soon) :eek:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
@hsvpaulie, if you want to stay with V6, why not look at the LF3 as installed within the 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport which pumps out 313kw & 583Nm... Probably a challenging project but would be interesting :p
With 3.6L, a rebuild, and decent engine management it’s probably simpler just to twin-turbo the LFX?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It’s got just under 150k on the clock and getting a bit tired from being driven pretty hard most of its life.
I think it’s time for a rebuild

Unless there's actual issues, don't fix it if it ain't broke. Even for thrashing a car 150k is pretty early, and also consider that it may be a gearbox issue or just a lack of servicing.

You'd be better off looking at a crate LFX from Holmart instead of having it rebuilt if you do go down this route, it will cumulatively cost less and save a lot of time. It's not an LS (far less ubiquity for parts/dev/support), so don't rebuild it with the prospects of performance in mind for killing two birds with one stone parts wise as it will be expensive and the payoff not particularly big for N/A unless you put massive cams in it and drive everywhere at 5k RPM. Support for the V6 ECUs is limited but it getting better, I haven't had any interactions with this company outside of meeting them at one of their trade stands but I believe GOAT Performance in Brisbane can tune this for you.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
With 3.6L, a rebuild, and decent engine management it’s probably simpler just to twin-turbo the LFX?
Probably, but unless such mods have been done by the thousands via the aftermarket, it won’t be as well engineered and packaged as the LF3. And if it hasn’t been done in the thousands, you’ll be paying for the the development :eek:

If you could source a nice Cadillac LF3 front 1/2 cut or 2/3 cut from the USA (If they still do such cuts these days) this would resolve a lot of cost and engineering issues...

But reality is, if it ain’t broke, done fix..., so the practical in me agrees with what @_R_J_K_ said :)

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
150,000km is a service interval, not a rebuild point!
Even for the earliest Series 1 SV6, I don't buy this stuff about the engine needing an overhaul at a paltry 150k or so on the presumption it is tired or not going well because it has been "driven hard". There are countless SV6s of S1 and SII around owned by tradies and businesses that are going on to 500,000km or more (have seen these when I was a member of FB groups with VF interest). My last two V6s were driven a lot (especially the first, logging 377,800km — and 11 years after I traded it, it is still in use locally with more than 700,000km) and a VZ at 195,600km (3 trips around Australia — in all weather conditions from freezing and blistering heat, only trading it because I like the modern touch of the VF). At this 6-figure interval, spark plugs, coil checks, suspension, front end components, transmission and diff are all checked as a matter of routine. Even a compression check wouldn't be done unless there was a specific pointer to it requiring a probe.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Big Red VF-SII Go-kart, motor car manufacturers don’t like attitudes like yours... they
like people who accept and encourage vehicle churn :p no Christmas card for you :p:p:p:p

hsvpaulie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys.
I agree with the old if it ain’t broke don’t fix it saying.
The car still car still has plenty of go that’s for sure still goes harder than my brother in laws automatic series 2. Was only thinking about a rebuild to try and have it last longer and because I rev it to redline often. The car gets serviced very regularly and has since I bought it.
I need to change the timing chain tensioner as most would know about the floor these engines have with the tensioners. So was going to give it a new timing chain at the same time and thought a rebuild would be worth the cost maybe I should wait until I supercharge it before having it rebuilt

thanks again for the comments and welcoming any further comments as well