Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf2 SS crap low beam

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ sadly the supercheap web page link makes no mention of legality or off road use only within any product description. That is unacceptable as some simply won’t know any better and just order them whereas if the warnings were there, they may not...

The packaging, when it arrives, may indeed have such warnings but by them the purchaser is all jacked up and wanting to install them :oops:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I would be less concerned about this if there was a decent H7 halogen globe that was both long lasting AND better light (not looking for plus 130 and that, but a decent improvement to stock globes that will last several years). Unfortunately haven't found any that suit..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would be less concerned about this if there was a decent H7 halogen globe that was both long lasting AND better light (not looking for plus 130 and that, but a decent improvement to stock globes that will last several years). Unfortunately haven't found any that suit..
Me too.

Frustratingly short lived globes just mean lots of work to replace them as it can’t be easily done without tools and from the engine bay. Instead, it’s a PITA process or $$ at the dealer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
mine dont rotate?
True, not all of them do which adds all sorts of confusion as to what could be legal and definitely is not.

Because such causes all sorts of enforcement difficulties, regulators will take a simple approach and say (via some document that) if a headlamp was certified with halogen globes using anything else requires the headlamp assembly to be re-certified.

The end result is you could argue logically and sensibly with the police until you’re blue in the face (if you’re ever pulled over) but ultimately some bureaucratic pen pusher will have the final say. The argument could be much more difficult and ultimately much more critical if your insurer considers the illegal globe upgrade contributed to a crash and therefore denies liability.

Risk assessment is obviously for each person to make (though others risk assessment could mean I’m put at risk by their poorly controlled overly bright lights o_O)

Ps: and the legality doesn’t solely depend on lumens and whether the hid globe rotates in the halogen shell. Read the ADR’s and you’ll start to understand the complexities. If it was so simple, the globes would would have been certified as compliant by the sellers and life would be easier.

Merv Murray

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE 6.0 A6
Hi All, I replaced high beams in my WN Caprice with HIDs, it was a little involved, but well worth it, also while I was in there, I changed the low beams from the factory 4300s to 10000s, again the lighting is amazing. I used eBay special's & they've last, I bought the German brand & 1 blew after a year