Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN/VP V8 distributor

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
how many ways are there to test if it works i think this is why it doesnt start at all?? is it safe for me to turn over the car while the distributor cap is off, to see if the dizzy spinss or is that a bad thing since it has no spark plugs connected to it??? coz i dont want to do damage to the car or anything.. :)

tnxxx..

p.ss.. ive tried the fuel system, ignition, ignition module, fuses ground wires. bateriesss, ECU'z

but not the starter motor

well the car does turn over but no spark so im right last thing to check is the distributor yeah?

soo i need abit info.. the gregories doesnt supply much info on the distributor :(

any help would be appreciated :):D

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if you take the cap off you can check by hand to see if the rotor is fixed. if you can turn it something is wrong. turning it over without the cap won't hurt anything cause the hightension lead from the coil isn't connected to anything.

have you done a fault code check? how old are the rotor and cap? have you checked/changed plugs and leads?

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
is it still not going man you must be sick of not driving it.cranking it with no cap will be sweet as you could put a plug in the coil lead and earth it to the engine to make doubley sure nothing stuffs out but it should be ok you still got no spark then obviously.let us know wether itt spins.

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
okayyy ive done that spannersss it was so hard to do it, i had to video record with my fone to see if it spins :O haha,.. yes it does spin?
AND YES IM SICK OF IT NOT STARTING i tryed about everything

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
ive checked the dizzy then, n its spining

coil?

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
Yeah thats where the spark comes from. If its no good, you wont be going anywhere. Its down on the P/S side of the dizzy, slightly lower. Just follow the middle lead on the dizzy cap.

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
so no spark at all out the coil lead either is there 12 volts at the coil positive with the ignition on if so is it still there when you crank it over

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
i havent tested out the coil/distributor out.. right at the moment i checked if it was moving well ill get to it soon thanks.

it use to have an imbolizer but i removed it, could this effect it coz i joined all the original wires back on

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes it could .also have you checked fuse number 11 if s1 and fuse 9 if s2 engine under the steering column and the ignition relay under there too.do you have 12 volts at coil + with key on this will tell us if theres power getting there and to the ignition module