Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx berlina odd lights

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
One more question as you guys have been great .. any idea where i can source a regulator in Western Sydney?

any auto-electrician will be able to sort that out for you it's most likely just worn brushes.

a refurb of an alternator is just a pull down of the alternator solder in now brushes, machine the bushes and replace the bearings will normally only take about 30 minutes - good as new :thumbsup: also the auto-leccy can test it for you and tell you if that's the fault. Many auto-electricians carry reco alternators and that's all they do they'll generally do a swapout and keep your alternator trust me when I say that most reconditioned alternators are usually as good as new.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Some auto parts places like Repco or Bursons, and just about any auto electrician should have them. The regulator is just screwed in place no soldering is necessary.

$_35.JPG

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some auto parts places like Repco or Bursons, and just about any auto electrician should have them. The regulator is just screwed in place no soldering is necessary.

$_35.JPG

curious, on these do the brushes solder on?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not really sure but I suppose they could be, but at the price of the whole regulator I wouldn't bother.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not really sure but I suppose they could be, but at the price of the whole regulator I wouldn't bother.

really, dude brushes are like $10 and a reg is $50 just from my quick ebay search - and you can guarantee it will be the brushes that are gone.

it's overkill to throw the whole thing out over worn brushes.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I suppose you could pull the regulator out and see if the brushes are worn and replace them but the problem could also be the regulator, it does after all keep the voltage at a certain level and if the voltage is way to high the regulator isn't doing it's job.
I thought the regulators were a bit cheaper than that.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I suppose you could pull the regulator out and see if the brushes are worn and replace them but the problem could also be the regulator, it does after all keep the voltage at a certain level and if the voltage is way to high the regulator isn't doing it's job.
I thought the regulators were a bit cheaper than that.

Other thing with worn brushes that I don't see mentioned in most of these threads is that if the brushes are worn generally the slip rings are also worn and you should be machining them as well.

Anyway it's all a bit academic but anyone with a vice can pull down an alternator and see what I'm on about, alternator reconditioning is well within the reach of the home mechanic/auto-leccy.

oh bit of a disclaimer the machining requires a lathe :)

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Now that we have an alternator novel let's start an ABS module novel because I'd be leaning towards ABS module if you also saw ABS and TC lights come on and off. You can temporarily unplug abs module as a test to see if it helps and check voltage when car is running to confirm it is alternator!