Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore Another Power Window Dilemna

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
G'day. Bought a second hand VX S Pac. Had a drivers window problem. I bought new window regulator sliders and went to install them.

Both of the old sliders were snapped but the drama is this...

The window was stuck down but the regulator arms with the ball joints on the end were extended all the way up, right near the top of the door skins.

I installed the new sliders and managed to manually push the window all the way up, but the regulator arms are too far up to line up the sliders. The arms are stuck up there gazaylee, i can't budge them and bring them back down.

When i operate the switch to raise the regulator, the motor makes a hectic sound but at least attempts to raise the already over-extended arms.

When i operate the switch to lower the arms, no sound, nothing. (I can't force the arms down manually either- stuck)

I was just wondering if the switch panel might be faulty, or the motor, or something.

I tried swapping out the relays under the dash both for drivers window and also general power windows relay with other relays with same product number for a test but no cigar, same prob, so those 2 relays seem ok.

All the other windows work fine, although they do struggle a little (maybe just need to lube the runners with some silicon greese).

Maybe the motor is stuffed?? Should I just replace the whole regulator assembly? New switch panel?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Did you remove and replace the entire regulator assembly, companies out there make them new and there cheap thats what we did for the rear windows. Removed the regular, slide the widow up and fastened the new regular into place.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Use a test light and see if your getting power to the regulator when you pull the switch for down position, if it lights up its your regulator if not switch or wire between door jam broken. Can just use a 12v battery straight to regulator wires

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
Thanks for the replies. I will attempt to test the electrical connections, and regulator straight off a battery, great advice.

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
It is fixed!!

I didn't bother testing for voltage in the wires in the end because i realized that the motor was actually getting power, because it was working in the up direction (at least trying to as the regulator was fully extended). For the motor to actuate the window downwards, the same wires are used just with the polarity reversed. Then i thought the first easiest thing to check out was the main switch in the center console which turned out to be where the problem was.

I pulled out the switch assembly, separated the top off the housing and removed the drivers switch itself. There was black gunk on the terminals which i cleaned off with a flat head screwy. I cleaned all the other switch terminals while i was there and cleaned out general gumption from the internals.

I snapped it all back together and plugged it in and it worked!!

I was then able to lower the regulator and snap the ball joints onto the new regulator sliders using some multi-grips, them bam! Joy.

Thanks for all the replies.

The following YouTube video helped immensely.