Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX not getting oil to rockers

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you should not be doing your own maintenance
you lack basic knowledge

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Glycol eats the white metal clean off the bearings in an engine when run with contaminated oil you're probably quickly losing oil pressure

But he saved himself $30 on new oil.....

you should not be doing your own maintenance
you lack basic knowledge

You might be onto something here.....

Loads of people do it
But thats not the problem, the lifters presumably are blocked not letting oil get through them to the pushrods
Changing the oil wont unblock the lifters (if thats eve the problem)

Not anyone I've ever met but don't worry, what you have saved on oil you can spend on bearings and lifters and a full engine rebuild.... :)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
No still old oil
Yes the water will boil/seperate out of the oil
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
damm,
i was eating chocolate peanuts and saw that picture
you made me spit them all over the monitor

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
its the silly season i know but this takes the cake

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
damm,
i was eating chocolate peanuts and saw that picture
you made me spit them all over the monitor
Same i thought it was gold.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)
Yes well its christmas and im casual and work is off for 2 weeks so i have no income for then, and after that i still dont make enough money to afford they luxurys of new oil
Now this isnt a registered car so its not like im driving it, but yes water will boil from the oil, dont believe me go try it
FYI i will be putting new oil in it when i can
Now while youre bagging the **** out of me for thinking that the water will boil out of oil, why not have a go at me for not knowing how to do up the rocker arm bolts so the valves are open, and i dont know maybe answer the questions

What is the proper way to do up the rocker arm bolts
And dont worry about the dry rockers they are now getting oil

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's nothing to do with the boiling water out of the oil, fact is you currently have a sump full off emulsified oil, oil that is supposed to provide a friction free surface on the critical parts of the engine which is something emulsified oil isn't going to do. If you don't need to drive it, park it up until you can get yourself some oil and do it then, alternately, drop the milkshake from the sump, put it in one of your mothers sauce pans and boil the water off that way but don't run it in the engine as you will do more damage. Now just think, if the rockers weren't getting oil, what else wasn't getting oil whilst that engine was running....

The correct way to torque up rocker arm bolts is with a torque wrench and making sure the lifter is on the base circle of the cam to get a proper torque reading on the bolts. BTW, the stock rocker bolts at TTY and should be thrown away and new ones used when fitting the rockers again.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)
It's nothing to do with the boiling water out of the oil, fact is you currently have a sump full off emulsified oil, oil that is supposed to provide a friction free surface on the critical parts of the engine which is something emulsified oil isn't going to do. If you don't need to drive it, park it up until you can get yourself some oil and do it then, alternately, drop the milkshake from the sump, put it in one of your mothers sauce pans and boil the water off that way but don't run it in the engine as you will do more damage. Now just think, if the rockers weren't getting oil, what else wasn't getting oil whilst that engine was running....

The correct way to torque up rocker arm bolts is with a torque wrench and making sure the lifter is on the base circle of the cam to get a proper torque reading on the bolts. BTW, the stock rocker bolts at TTY and should be thrown away and new ones used when fitting the rockers again.

So what stops them winding off?