Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS vibration

Dan24

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS
Hey guys been a while since Iv posted on here but need some help.
Recently picked up a 2003 VY SS. Now when driving at say 90-100km I get a serve vibration in the steering wheel and also at braking at speed I get the vibration. Any ideas?

Just had a wheel alignment, still pulls to the left. Bloke at Tyrepower reckons it's a brake issue but would that cause vibration at speed even when not braking?

Used the search button but couldn't find much with these to linked

Thanks!

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
If the rotor is warped enough yeah. Caliper slides may be sticky and causing drag, is one rotor blueish, hot? Did you also have the wheels balanced?Most cars will pull to the left because of the camber of the road. Worth checking out steering rack, tie rod ends and front end bushes too.

Dan24

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS
Yeah still pulls quite a bit, have to hold it straight. But when holding the wheel straight the car drives right.... Mayb the steering wheel has been off and not out back in correctly? Had a similar issue in the VX mechanic just took it off and out it back on (not a big issue but I am pretty picky)

All rotors look similar and greyish.
Had no idea that the brakes could cause vibration if they're not being engaged at the time

Dan24

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS
And no didn't get it balanced....
May get this done when they look at the brakes

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Could also be a issue with a camber on the right wheel.
I had that issue and now been corrected.

Right wheel had a camber of -2.03 whilst left was normal -0.28
Hence pulled to the left.
Could be from damage from pothole or accident they had said.
Will be changing the stub axles soon enough for good measure.

Finally got it corrected and now is perfect.
There is a camber screw behind the disk. Needs to have the shocks strut loosened to be worked on.

Perhaps this is the issue.

Perhaps wheel alignment place did a crappy job as steering wheel should be straight.

Dan24

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS
Rear camber is currently -1.35 left & -1.17 right
front camber is currently -0.31 left & -0.22 right
just went for a spin vibration is worse at times and not as bad at other times whilst cruising at 100, its frustrating as iv had the car a week and it didnt do it on the test drive

Dan24

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS
driving at 100 km on a straight road and the vibration begins, then when braking at speed it vibrates violently

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Check your wheel nuts are tight.
Edit: and all other nuts/bolts for that matter.
I once had my discs machined and the next day had vibration at highway speed, wheel nuts were loose. If you jack it up spin the wheel and hear and feel pad on disc contact that is clearly uneven have them machined or replaced and get new pads.

Last edited: