Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What deal did you get for your vf series 2????

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
When I make my mind up on what I want, I will do that. I can't believe how arrogant car salesmen in Sydney have been!!

I would buy from Suttons Waitara again, they didn't mess around at all. Come up with a list of what you want and price you want to pay for it, then just go in and tell them and be ready to sign. If they can't or don't want to do the deal they will just tell you. The way I look at it, if you keep the cost of sale to them low by not dragging them all over the lot and test driving everything, its the best chance at getting a yes to something you are happy with.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
When I make my mind up on what I want,

This is your problem right here. Car salesmen car smell indecision a mile away. Unless they sense you're committed, they just see you as fishing for prices. They're not going to give you their best price unless you're willing to sign a contract right then and there.

Come up with a list of what you want and price you want to pay for it, then just go in and tell them and be ready to sign. If they can't or don't want to do the deal they will just tell you.

^The above is spot on. If you've done your research you should #1 Know how much you should be paying and #2 Know how much you're happy to pay. When you've actually made a decision, go into a dealer, hand over your credit card and tell them they can take a $500 deposit right now if they can give you xxxxx for $xxxxx. If they can they will (might be a little back and forth). If your offer is reasonable you shouldn't have a problem getting the deal. If not, walk away - if they don't chase you or call you back within the next hr, they can't make the deal. Then go to another dealer.

Via email I got a sense of the dealerships I was happy to work with. However the real price came to fruition when I was physically in the dealership ready to sign.

Side note - Dealer called this morning. My car is expected to arrive Tuesday. So hopefully with some luck I'll be in a position to pick up Thursday/Friday this week.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
This is your problem right here. Car salesmen car smell indecision a mile away. Unless they sense you're committed, they just see you as fishing for prices. They're not going to give you their best price unless you're willing to sign a contract right then and there.

This. Don't worry about pricing until it is go time.

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
It makes it hard. What if you're indecisive about which car to buy, price is obviously a factor, but you can't get a price until they think you're ready to buy.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That's the "haggle culture", it's all about "defeating" the opponent you're buying-from or selling-to.
I don't mind admitting that I find it somewhat abhorrent.

galaga2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
And this is why I haven't committed, cause I am wanting to know what is best time, best deal etc. or do I wait till 2017 etc. I don't blame them, just get annoyed with salesmen. I know they just want to sell what they got. I am being honest with them.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
It makes it hard. What if you're indecisive about which car to buy, price is obviously a factor, but you can't get a price until they think you're ready to buy.

It's not like the price is a totally unknown quantity. The manufacturer websites usually have RRP, emails/phone calls to dealers usually result in slightly lower prices. Contacting a broker can also yield you prices as a starting point. You know that others have bought a Redline sedan for $55K and a HSV Black for $63K. However at the end of the day it comes down to what you are happy to pay, not the cheapest possible price. If you chase the latter, you eventually might be successful, but be prepared for a frustrating and disappointing time.

That's the "haggle culture", it's all about "defeating" the opponent you're buying-from or selling-to.
I don't mind admitting that I find it somewhat abhorrent.

Which is why the Tesla model is so interesting. The price you see is what you pay - no negotiation/haggling. I wonder how many Australians would be comfortable with this approach, given that for so long we've had to play "the game".

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
And this is why I haven't committed, cause I am wanting to know what is best time, best deal etc. or do I wait till 2017 etc. I don't blame them, just get annoyed with salesmen. I know they just want to sell what they got. I am being honest with them.

That's not really something that they can help you with, given that the MY17 is 5-months away from release.

They will try to sell you the cars that they have available for sale but being indecisive doesn't help them to do this.

First you will need to decide if you want the car sooner or later, then you will be able to worry about haggling with some certainty of your expectations.

Martyr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
Try an email, price (best you can find on the forum) and work out what options are in that price or need to be added on and tell them to better it and you will put deposit down.

I walked into a dealer in Western Sydney, test-drove a VF II and they took my details. The follow-up email asked if I was still buying, I replied saying I want a stock VFII auto for $45k (as some here have paid) and he replied he can sell me one for 53k drive away and that I'd need 1k deposit to lock it in.

It's like he didn't even read the body of my email.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I walked into a dealer in Western Sydney, test-drove a VF II and they took my details. The follow-up email asked if I was still buying, I replied saying I want a stock VFII auto for $45k (as some here have paid) and he replied he can sell me one for 53k drive away and that I'd need 1k deposit to lock it in.

It's like he didn't even read the body of my email.

You will need to negotiate via phone or person but email gets the ball rolling on the dealers who move and looking for the business.