Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What model Commodore on a $5000 budget?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Magna/verada/380 are great cars, but when they do break, they will fkn rape you in repair/parts costs.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I have a Getz that I drive for work, 5spd 1.5L, 360,000km on the clock, and not once have I ever thought it was better on the freeway than my V6 Commodore. Sure, it can hit 110 with no trouble and is perky enough to accidentally float past it with no trouble, but that doesn't mean it's NICE to drive on the freeway.

Long, high speed trips should definitely be done in a big car with a big engine, even if it's not a high end model. I have a VX executive wagon with the only modification being that I've dropped a getrag into it, and I love driving it. City driving, freeway driving, no dramas at all.

If you can get a VX with low KMs at the right price, you really can't go wrong with it (apart from the 4 speed auto gearbox being awful). If you look in the right place, you can get one in awesome condition, too. My dad has been trying to sell his VX SS for ages now, paint is schmick, interior is great (driver's seat's a bit soft on one side is the only problem), and I think he's only got about 160,000km on the clock. Only problem is the SS will probably be out of your price range unless you find one that's in bad condition and not worth buying!

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Thanks for the overwhelming input, I reckon I'll see if I can source a 3.8l VX S2 Sedan (Berlina or Acclaim with possible options of LPG, S pack) here in Adelaide, PM if you have any leads. Happy NY to all.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks for the overwhelming input, I reckon I'll see if I can source a 3.6l VX S2 Sedan (Berlina or Acclaim with possible options of LPG, S pack) here in Adelaide, PM if you have any leads. Happy NY to all.

If you find a 3.6 VX2, let us know. They didn't make such a beast. The old Ecotec was 3.8L, the Alloytec was 3.6.

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Sorry my error, engine cap. updated. Thanks :)

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Well I might be able to get hold of a VY Berlina instead of a VXII Berlina, what are peoples thoughts?

The VXII looks to be more reliable and handle better than the VY (did they do a series II in the VY?)....

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
I'd take a vy over a vx any day

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Look at mileage and condition.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Well I might be able to get hold of a VY Berlina instead of a VXII Berlina, what are peoples thoughts?

The VXII looks to be more reliable and handle better than the VY (did they do a series II in the VY?)....

The VX and VY are pretty much comparable reliability wise. Each model had some issues, but generally, bugs in the VX were sorted out for VY. Performance, handling, braking and comfort pretty much comparable - certainly the VX went no harder than a VY as weight and power were pretty much identical. The VY was an extensive, mid life facelift but brought improvements in the interior design as well as slight improvements in equipment levels. You could get a VY for your budget but a good VX 2 is a safer bet for that money as its price would be determined by normal depreciation rather than high mileage.

Yes, there was a Series 2 VY.