Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil is everyone using

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SS-V Redline Sedan LMF
I don't understand why they would be using Dexos2 since it's designed specifically for diesel engines and Dexos1 is the oil for petrol engines. Refer below:

View attachment 192627

I may have got the numbers wrong when I typed it in, as my Captiva was diesel and there was Dexos2 oil put in - just checked my invoice. Sorry mate :(

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hmm, so 5w40 is better than 5w30?
I run this device which changes lubrication duty, cooling and its flow characteristics, engine builder specified 5w40 to suit hydraulic stuff (VVT, AFM) and e85.
View media item 116I consider the two weights are very much the same in practicality, there is a slight but noticeable difference with 5w40 being quieter when oil is close to 100°.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Stick with gf5 5w30

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I changed the oil in the Redline the other day at 3500km and was black as. I forgot to check to see if there were any metal filings in the oil. I usually change the oil at 7500km as the 15k is way too long between changes.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Castrol Edge will have a Dexos approved oil soon. When I rang their technical phone number, the bloke was happy to have a chat but definitely towed the company line and said they can't recommend using any of their products until their new Dexos oil.
We also chatted and laughed about how much bloody money GM was making getting certification from all the oil companies. It must be very costly having to have products certified to API and/or ACEA and/or ILSAC and now all the manufacturers own certifications.

I've gone with the Edge 5w30 ACEA A3/B4 as that european standard is more leaning towards motor protection than fuel economy and emission system longevity, than ILSAC or Dexos tend to be.

I only swapped out the Mobil 1 0w40 for the 5w30 to see if it was causing this ticking noise I get when warm. It wasn't the cause, and I'm pretty sure it relates to the factory tune as it only ticks when its filled with 98. No idea why its doing it (any idea @monstar ?)

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Why the non genuine filter? The genuine filters are cheap as chips.
I was thinking about it but decided to use a different brand so I know if the dealer workshop changes the oil filter for its scheduled services.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
I was thinking about it but decided to use a different brand so I know if the dealer workshop changes the oil filter for its scheduled services.
Just put a date on it with a marker when you out it in