Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which shocks should I get for my VF Redline?

GXP25

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GXP
just ordered a set of the FSD'S for my VF Calais V from holmart. i have the eibach pro kit springs in already so will be good to see what their like together. ordered a set of stock genuine strut mounts as well while i've got it apart. thought about the super pros but my suspension guy knows me well and said i would be happier with the standard ones. i do so few k's these days they will last me to the end of my driving days. will update once its all done.
cheers

well i just picked up the car from having the Koni FSD'S fitted with the existing Eibach springs. all i can say is WINNER! Absolutely Brillant. changed the car completely. could tell the difference as soon as i drove out of the workshop. my suspension guy said the best commodore combo he has ever driven for a street car. i would do it again in a heartbeat. much more planted,tighter but no harshness at all.
cheers
warrick

Well it looks like you've already completed the job.

You really should have gone with the SuperPro SPF1590AK (polyelast) mounts. They ride just like the stock rubber but they won't fail like the stock mounts. They also have a lifetime warranty.

You'll be changing out those stock mounts sooner rather than later.

Do you have a part number for the Eibachs you bought? I just bought some Eibachs as well (US) and that's what I plan to use with the Koni FSD golds. The King springs + Koni Sport yellows is an undesirable combination from my experience.

They must have changed the design. The difference was around 20mm. Would be interesting to see some pictures of your rear shocks.

He was already lowered on Eibach springs (35 mm front and rear) so the extra drop probably wasn't noticeable.

But based off of what he said ("heights are 350mm rear and 370mm front"), front would be 370 mm + 35 mm = 405 mm stock height. Rear would be 350 mm + ~20 mm (Koni seat) + 35 mm = 405 mm stock height. Seems to add up.

I'll be able to let you know if the height is different when the FSD golds arrive. I have the Sport yellows currently, albeit with the sleeve to restore the ride height.

I will take side-by-side pictures.

Last edited:

GXP25

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GXP
While we're at it, if people can call Koni in Australia and ask about the Special ACTIVE red dampers, that could push Koni to move from the outdated FSD golds to the new Special ACTIVE reds which utilize the FSD technology, are cheaper, and are more robust (less prone to fail).

GXP25

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8 GXP
Well they seem to be the same with the rods being slightly different in length. The FSD golds are low pressure gas charged while the Sport yellows are hydraulic (in the rear).

Front strut inserts:

IMG_7535.jpg

IMG_7536.jpg

IMG_7537.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7538.jpg

IMG_7542.jpg

IMG_7540.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg