Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why did Holden go from VZ to VE?

Kn10

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
This was something I was just curious about. Why did Holden go from the Commodore VZ to VE?

They did VB, VC, VH, VK, VL, VN, VP, VR, VS, VT, VX, VY and VZ.
Its obvious they are just increasing the letters, but why did they choose VE? Other than the fact they ran out of letters after VZ? Was there a reason for choosing the E rather than say.. VA/VD/VF etc..?

Just curious..

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Ring Holden and ask them...they make the cars...they decide what their called....

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Who the hell wants to drive around in a VD...

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
lol yeah, VD for obvious reasons... I dont think anyone wants to pay $30,000-$90,000 for VD...

I'm guessing the next model will be VF and then VJ (maybe not), VM, and then the way I figure it theyve run out! Then It'll be time to change the V? to what though... HMMMMM

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Maybe because they didn't want to get mixed up with the Valiant's?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The "VA" designation was used during the mid 70's when Holden was designing its next Kingswood replacement, before it was decided to go with the European Commodore. Even though the VA was only a paper design and never reached production, once Holden has used a designation, it doesn't re-use it on a later model. That's why the first Commodore was the VB.

As for confusion with Valiants, well, they both share the VC, VE, VH and VK model designations already, so that has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps it might have been a lot simpler if they hadn't gone through the alphabet so quickly first time around, and gone VB, VC, VE, VF etc. That would mean the VE woul have been the VM or VN or whatever by now.

Kn10

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SV6
The "VA" designation was used during the mid 70's when Holden was designing its next Kingswood replacement, before it was decided to go with the European Commodore. Even though the VA was only a paper design and never reached production, once Holden has used a designation, it doesn't re-use it on a later model. That's why the first Commodore was the VB.
Thanks for that, a good bit of Commodore trivia right there.

Who the hell wants to drive around in a VD...
Yeah, a VD is definitely a bad name because of Venereal Disease as others hinted, but I wouldnt put it past Holden naming a car with the same name as a STD.
I mean, HSV is short for Herpes Simplex Virus.

I'm guessing the next model will be VF and then VJ (maybe not)
LOL, yeah, I suspect they might avoid the VJ as well. "Check out mah fully sik VJ. Wanna come from a ride in my VJ?". Just doesnt sound right. :rofl2: