Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a BCM from another car work?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
To link ecu/pcm:
Diagnostics -> Year -> Model -> Body -> Body control module -> (follow prompts press confirm) -> Security -> BCM Link To PCM

Program Key:
Diagnostics -> Year -> Model -> Body -> Body control module -> (follow prompts press confirm) -> Security -> Program -> Program Remote Key -> All New Key

Extra Key is for when you have a key but want to as it says add an extra key.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
extra key = clones
all new = erase codes on all the keys and re do them all with a new code. (hence the 10 minutes wait, makes a thief have to sit there for 10 minutes in the parking lot waiting for his key to program :p)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
extra key = clones
all new = erase codes on all the keys and re do them all with a new code. (hence the 10 minutes wait, makes a thief have to sit there for 10 minutes in the parking lot waiting for his key to program :p)

are you saying you can reprogram a used keyfob so suit a different BCM? does it rewrite the keyfob or the BCM
I was also told "all new" deleted all current keyfobs from BCM memory but another member here assures me that is not the case
could you clarify this a bit as we had one 3 hour class using tech 2 and tech 1, with 20 guys all asking questions so didn't learn a great deal

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Nope, keys are single use.
Can't even erase the eeprom with it removed from the pcb to blank the fob.

I do have some ordered so will see if a fresh blank eeprom allows reprogramming.

Guess I'll have to try get the security codes for the 2 spare bcm's I have when I get the chips and play.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
one other thing, there is a locksmith who posts here who had found a code to write to keyfobs that reset them to unused
obviously they use a different system to code keys

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well that's interesting if it's true (or just another internet myth)
I'm just going by what i have tried and read, 93s46 serial eeprom is the chip used, have removed it from the pcb and cannot erase what is on it.

Reading through the datasheet for it there is an option to set a OTP (one time programming) bit that as the name suggests programs it once and that's it.

For the s&g's i put the fob back together without the eeprom and tried to program it via the tech2... instead of the failing because it was already programmed it actually tried to program it (failed obviously as there as no where to store data), so it may be possible....

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I just did it and all worked out perfectly! A BIG thank you to aussieakito and Jxw! You guys are pure awesome!!

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Nope, keys are single use.
Can't even erase the eeprom with it removed from the pcb to blank the fob.

I do have some ordered so will see if a fresh blank eeprom allows reprogramming.

Guess I'll have to try get the security codes for the 2 spare bcm's I have when I get the chips and play.

Sorry yes jxw is correct for VZ, in VE how ever you can re learn the keys with a new code, but only to the same car.
Same as Holden cruze/captiva and so on

CJUNLIMITED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5lt
this saved me a trip to holden for min of 150
so bcm was knackered no alarm, entrral locking , imoiiliser not dissengaging etc

my mate suggested this. couldnt believe it worrked

Instructions are as follows (I did this the other day, and I know it works)... this is for VT-VX-VU...

1. Make sure engine is at operating temperature (above 80 degrees) - you can check this by going into police mode
(hold down Start and Mode buttons together as you start it) and scroll through the menus until you get to the digital
temperature readout.
Or use the normal temperature gauge, either works :)

2. Turn off the ignition.

3. Remove the engine management fuse (it's a 10amp fuse, F31. It's probably labelled "BCM" on the diagram).

4. Turn the ignition on. Do NOT try to crank the engine over, just turn it on and wait.
After 20-30 seconds you should hear the dash make a chiming sound.

5. Replace the BCM fuse.

6. Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes to let it relearn idle settings etc..

That's it! Thanks to v8owners.com for the info, I can tell you from personal experience that this works fine.